Carry illegal at church?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jesus indicated to the disciples that when He left they would have to fend for themselves (not create an army - like they first thought He meant) and in Romans God through Paul mentions God using others to protect against evil aggressors. That makes me think that there are times, in the protection of the good against the evil that the sword is in the hand given by God.
Carry where legal - we are to obey man's laws unless it conflicts with God's Law.

:clap3:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would Jesus do? I don't mean to sound retarded, but it's something I've been thinking on. I enjoy my freedom, I carry legally, but if we're talking church, does the paradigm shift?

Jesus indicated to the disciples that when He left they would have to fend for themselves (not create an army - like they first thought He meant) and in Romans God through Paul mentions God using others to protect against evil aggressors. That makes me think that there are times, in the protection of the good against the evil that the sword is in the hand given by God.
Carry where legal - we are to obey man's laws unless it conflicts with God's Law.

Jesus was actually a big advocate on what we would call OUR 2nd Ammendment. It says in the book of Luke 22:36...

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Oh, and by the way...Jesus would pack a six shooter. Probably a Smith & Wesson PRE model 27 "Registered Magnum" with a three and a half inch snout. ;)

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While we shouldn't take one piece of Scripture out of context like that and try to derive a certain philosophy from it, we can examine the rest of the Bible for similar themes and draw a reasonable conclusion that God created a self-preservation instinct for a reason.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
B. "School property" means any publicly or privately owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational-technical education, and shall not include property owned by public school districts or private educational entities where such property is leased or rented to an individual or corporation and used for purposes other than educational.

Theological arguments aside, I interpret this section as saying if the building/grounds are being used for K-12 education, it doesn't matter who owns it, it is off-limits. If a public school leases its gym for a small church to use on Sunday, it's OK to carry to there to church. If a school sells parking for a college football, its OK to carry.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Theological arguments aside, I interpret this section as saying if the building/grounds are being used for K-12 education, it doesn't matter who owns it, it is off-limits. If a public school leases its gym for a small church to use on Sunday, it's OK to carry to there to church. If a school sells parking for a college football, its OK to carry.

I'd agree, but only while school is in session (applied to church owned property, used for school).

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my son is in a Catholic school & I park on the street & leave the gun in the car for school fuctions.

Also If you attend Mass with the school during the week I think that would be a school function as well.

Church on Sun has no school involvment my 2c

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's my question on this: My wife teaches at a Catholic school here in Yukon and we also go to that Church. The school and church are separate buildings and are not even attached to one another. However, the parking lot(s) are shared by both. Would that be considered unlawful since the property has a school on it? Now, I don't go into the school to get to the church and it is easy to go directly to the church without even walking on what could be considered the "school" portion of the property (the surrounding sidewalks, etc.)

So where does that stand in terms of legality? Or should I just find another church?:selfangel

Sunday Mass (Saturday and Sunday) should be fine, but I am still telling Fr. Novak! ;)

On a side note, by any chance is your wife the one that heads up RCIC?

Anybody have a answer to this one? I'm in the same boat. Parish at one end of the building, School at the other.

Daily mass could be problematic. The parish, while school is in session, is property being used for school.

my son is in a Catholic school & I park on the street & leave the gun in the car for school fuctions.

Also If you attend Mass with the school during the week I think that would be a school function as well.

Church on Sun has no school involvment my 2c

Correct.

Latest posts

Top Bottom