Carry illegal at church?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so... the verdict is that it IS NOT ILLEGAL to carry in a church... correct?

I thought it legal when I read the SDA... but when the prison guard downtown said otherwise... well, I figured he'd ought to know. And apparently, other people make the same claim.

... God I'm glad this forum is around!!

No offense intended to our public servants, but a lot of police don't know the laws very well, not just referring to the SDA. They have a limited scope that they have to deal with regularly and if they keep up with more that's just gravy.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's my question on this: My wife teaches at a Catholic school here in Yukon and we also go to that Church. The school and church are separate buildings and are not even attached to one another. However, the parking lot(s) are shared by both. Would that be considered unlawful since the property has a school on it? Now, I don't go into the school to get to the church and it is easy to go directly to the church without even walking on what could be considered the "school" portion of the property (the surrounding sidewalks, etc.)

So where does that stand in terms of legality? Or should I just find another church?:selfangel

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So here's my question on this: My wife teaches at a Catholic school here in Yukon and we also go to that Church. The school and church are separate buildings and are not even attached to one another. However, the parking lot(s) are shared by both. Would that be considered unlawful since the property has a school on it? Now, I don't go into the school to get to the church and it is easy to go directly to the church without even walking on what could be considered the "school" portion of the property (the surrounding sidewalks, etc.)

So where does that stand in terms of legality? Or should I just find another church?:selfangel

Anybody have a answer to this one? I'm in the same boat. Parish at one end of the building, School at the other.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This would be a grey area. My daughters school is in a church. They don't lease, the space is donated by the church. So in my case I am on church property. However, since you are referring to a private school, that doesn't receive state funding, I believe the rules may not apply. If no school function is occurring, then you are on church property and carry is legal. Like I said it would probably depend on the way the land is shared, and whether or not the private schools fall under the same guidelines as public, which in most cases they don't. This may not be completely accurate, but this is my current understanding of the law. I will check some sources and get back.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
title 21 chapter 53 section 1280.1
POSSESSION OF FIREARM ON SCHOOL PROPERTY

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession on any public or private school property or while in any school bus or vehicle used by any school for transportation of students or teachers any firearm or weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title, except as provided in subsection C of this section or as otherwise authorized by law.

B. "School property" means any publicly or privately owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational-technical education, and shall not include property owned by public school districts or private educational entities where such property is leased or rented to an individual or corporation and used for purposes other than educational.

C. Firearms and weapons are allowed on school property and deemed not in violation of subsection A of this section as follows:

1. A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided such vehicle containing said gun or knife is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and such vehicle does not remain unattended on school property;

2. A gun or knife used for the purposes of participating in the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation certified hunter training education course or any other hunting, fishing, safety or firearms training courses, or a recognized firearms sports event, team shooting program or competition, or living history reenactment, provided the course or event is approved by the principal or chief administrator of the school where the course or event is offered, and provided the weapon is properly displayed or stored as required by law pending participation in the course, event, program or competition; and

3. Weapons in the possession of any peace officer or other person authorized by law to possess a weapon in the performance of their duties and responsibilities.

D. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), and imprisonment for not more than two (2) years. Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section after having been issued a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license permanently revoked and shall be liable for an administrative fine of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

So it appears to me that if the school owns the property for the sole purpose of educational use then it is illegal. However it can be in a secured vehicle on the property with a valid license.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would Jesus do? I don't mean to sound retarded, but it's something I've been thinking on. I enjoy my freedom, I carry legally, but if we're talking church, does the paradigm shift?

That is opening a whole different can of worms. We are look out for our brothers in Christ. I carry at church to not only protect myself, but also my family and my brothers and sisters in Christ. I would go into further detail and back my opinion with scripture but this is not the thread for that. PM me if you would like further explanation. :thumbup3:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

My thought is this, since the law states "school property" then it would depend on how the land is owned. Being a catholic church / school I would expect the church owns it, and runs the school, in which case it is not school property, but church property. I would definitely get a lawyer and ask them before you carried too much. Getting caught on K12 grounds is serious bizness. Even if it is the other way around, the church and the parking lot *should* be safe. I am NOT a lawyer!

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jesus indicated to the disciples that when He left they would have to fend for themselves (not create an army - like they first thought He meant) and in Romans God through Paul mentions God using others to protect against evil aggressors. That makes me think that there are times, in the protection of the good against the evil that the sword is in the hand given by God.
Carry where legal - we are to obey man's laws unless it conflicts with God's Law.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We go to a private school that is owned by a church. I carry in and out when school is not in session (I'm in a lot of meetings there - early and late)and don't carry when school is in session

Latest posts

Top Bottom