Carry Rotation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good read. Thanks for the link. But it's all good, I train with what I carry, with carry ammunition. Expensive, yeah, but I don't know anyone that sights in a deer rifle with fmj's only to hunt with jhp's

Uh...you are probably shooting at a deer at a significantly longer range than a BG. Probably using a rifle too for deer and a handgun for BG. Try this: Throw a sillouette target up at say; 7 yards. Now bring that carry gun up from the low ready and quickly acquire the front site; don't worry about exact sight alignment/sight picture, just quickly put the front sight on center mass of the paper BG and fire two quick rounds. Now check target. Betcha both shots are near POA. At 7 yards, getting that front sight on target is key. At 100 yards, sight alignment/sight picture becomes much, much important. My point is, it's okay to train with cheap fmj in a carry hangun...what's it gonna do? Change your POI by a minute amount? Just my two cents.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I carry a 442 Airweight when it is hot outside and I want light and small. I carry a subcompact 1911 3" as my primary carry gun. When it is cold and I'm wearing more layers I
carry a full sized 1911. I practice with all three so I have no problem changing up.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to rotate ammo until I started shooting 1970s Russian surplus ammunition. The ammunition is over 40 years and goes bang every time. God only knows where that stuff had been stored, Murmansk? After that I realized the expensive duty ammunition I buy and store in a climate controlled environment must be fine to keep for awhile as well. I enjoyed reading your post as you have the experience to back up what I already though to be true.

The one thing I do not ever do, is re-chamber a round that has already been chambered for carry usage. I have measured rounds that I chambered multiple times and watched the OAL grow. So if I clear a weapon with a live round, I just spare that round for practice.

Does your OAL grow or shorten?

I'm finding that in my M&P Pro, my JHP's are shortening.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes it's a Glock day, others, 1911 of one size or another, little KelTec or Airweight. Everyone gets to make up their own carry rules and criticize other's ...

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh...you are probably shooting at a deer at a significantly longer range than a BG. Probably using a rifle too for deer and a handgun for BG. Try this: Throw a sillouette target up at say; 7 yards. Now bring that carry gun up from the low ready and quickly acquire the front site; don't worry about exact sight alignment/sight picture, just quickly put the front sight on center mass of the paper BG and fire two quick rounds. Now check target. Betcha both shots are near POA. At 7 yards, getting that front sight on target is key. At 100 yards, sight alignment/sight picture becomes much, much important. My point is, it's okay to train with cheap fmj in a carry hangun...what's it gonna do? Change your POI by a minute amount? Just my two cents.

Point taken, and very valid. While I appreciate the info, I'm not worried about premium ammo cost in my carry weapon. I'll shoot the cheap (wwb) stuff at the range, on the tac course, and in the black guns... But if my life depends on it, I want it to go bang. (plus I got a smoking deal on a case of Hornady tap green tips (zombie-max) for my carry gun)

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom