Carry without ccw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremycknight

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a buddy who carries without a ccw. I asked him why dont you just get your license. He told me "why should i have to pay for something or get permission that is are right". Just wondering what happens if he is ever caught. He's not a bad guy, has a family and has served his country. Thanks

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I aksed the same question to an LEO that is a member here. He told me worse case would be a trip to jail but more than likely if you weren't being a jerk it would only be a fine. I took it as if you are nice and the LEO isn't having a bad day you will get a fine. To me its not worth the chance of going to jail. YMMV.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a buddy who carries without a ccw. I asked him why dont you just get your license. He told me "why should i have to pay for something or get permission that is are right". Just wondering what happens if he is ever caught. He's not a bad guy, has a family and has served his country. Thanks

it is a misdemeanor, If that is all he is doing then he will get to spend money on an atty, plus whatever the court dreams up. That kind of statement is usually made by someone who cannot get a cc permit. Now that oklahoma has ccw the courts are not so lenient as before the ccw. That all being said, the cost is fairly inexpensive to legally carry, why would you not? I call BS on your friends answer. When the .gov gave us a way to legally carry it took away the argument of what my rights are. Yeah it costs a little bit, but then you are an honorable person doing your duty as a citizen.

I have to edit this in..if he is honestly thinking this way, I would question why he really doesn't want to do it the legal way. Last time I checked we all don't really get to choose what laws we want to live by. Further, if he is a family man, then if he is caught he takes time and money away from his family by his view on following the law of the land.

jeremycknight

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it is a misdemeanor, If that is all he is doing then he will get to spend money on an atty, plus whatever the court dreams up. That kind of statement is usually made by someone who cannot get a cc permit. Now that oklahoma has ccw the courts are not so lenient as before the ccw. That all being said, the cost is fairly inexpensive to legally carry, why would you not? I call BS on your friends answer. When the .gov gave us a way to legally carry it took away the argument of what my rights are. Yeah it costs a little bit, but then you are an honorable person doing your duty as a citizen.

I have to edit this in..if he is honestly thinking this way, I would question why he really doesn't want to do it the legal way. Last time I checked we all don't really get to choose what laws we want to live by. Further, if he is a family man, then if he is caught he takes time and money away from his family by his view on following the law of the land.
I agree with you. I have know him for ever and he has carried for just about as long as I know him. He is able to get it. I tried to get him to go with me when I took my class. He told me if I get caught I will cross that path when I get there. I was just curious on what would happen.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Section 1272 - Unlawful Carry
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency;

4. The carrying or use of weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judge or special district judge within this state, who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose name appears on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of the Courts; or

5. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, "living history reenactment" means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title.

it will depend on alot of factors and the situation........

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
regardless

I would think that in a self defense situation, if you used a gun and were in fear of your life, whether or not you had a CHL would be a minor issue.

That being said, I would not carry without a CHL.

Comments?

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
regardless

I would think that in a self defense situation, if you used a gun and were in fear of your life, whether or not you had a CHL would be a minor issue.

That being said, I would not carry without a CHL.

Comments?

never a minor issue if used in a deadly force situation outside the home......

do you think a lawyer would just let that you dont have an issued license just slide by? what about a jury of your peers?

Is your post event freedom worth it to chance?

I will tell you this, I will arrest you and place you in jail if you are involved in a situation where you shot someone in defense and you were not issued a legal permit. Find me an officer in the field that says he wont. Will we like it? no. We dont really have a choice in the matter. sadly its the way it is.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
never a minor issue if used in a deadly force situation outside the home......

do you think a lawyer would just let that you dont have an issued license just slide by? what about a jury of your peers?

Is your post event freedom worth it to chance?

I will tell you this, I will arrest you and place you in jail if you are involved in a situation where you shot someone in defense and you were not issued a legal permit. Find me an officer in the field that says he wont. Will we like it? no. We dont really have a choice in the matter. sadly its the way it is.

Not arguing but asking. And no, I do not consider self defense with a gun a minor issue. I legally carry under the assumption that if there is ever a need to defend myself with a handgun, I will need an attorney regardless of the situation. I appreciate your comments.

Latest posts

Top Bottom