CCW: Printing and Accidental Exposure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to hear some educated opinions on the topics of concealed handgun printing through clothing and accidental exposure because of things beyond your reasonable control.

How much "printing" violates the detection clause of the SDA? Is it up to a police officer and a judge's opinions or has an attorney general laid down some guidelines? If I carried under the armpit underneath a shirt and by paying close attention you could notice a slight bulge of the butt would that get a person in trouble?

If you accidently allow your gun to show say by your coat blowing open in a parking lot getting out of your vehicle or something similar in a public place and a police officer saw it, is it considered a serious offense that would get you into a lot of trouble?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to hear some educated opinions on the topics of concealed handgun printing through clothing and accidental exposure because of things beyond your reasonable control.

How much "printing" violates the detection clause of the SDA? Is it up to a police officer and a judge's opinions or has an attorney general laid down some guidelines? If I carried under the armpit underneath a shirt and by paying close attention you could notice a slight bulge of the butt would that get a person in trouble?

If you accidently allow your gun to show say by your coat blowing open in a parking lot getting out of your vehicle or something similar in a public place and a police officer saw it, is it considered a serious offense that would get you into a lot of trouble?

By the letter of the law, it is illegal. There is no AG opinion on the subject matter either.

However, the real world is a little different.

First, you have to have someone notice it enough to complain about it. If the average person notices it, then it was obviously not concealed from detection or view.

Then we have what is called officer discretion. If an officer happens to notice it, he can use his discretion to decide whether to cite you for it or to just let you know that there is an issue that needs to be corrected. Most of the officers I know personally claim that they would be unlikely to cite someone for printing unless it seemed intentional or reckless (i.e. trying to conceal a Desert Eagle .41AE under an Under Armor shirt), or if someone wanted to file a complaint.

If a complaint is filed, then the prosecutor has discretion on whether or not to pursue the case and how to pursue it. Personally, I think it would be unlikely in most parts of the state if it was obviously inadvertent, unintentional, and non-reckless, but you never know and I personally don't want to be the test case. A little surfing of people's records on ODCR/OSCN will show that there is a lot of discretion used on the part of prosecutors (such as one that I came across recently where the charges were initially DUI, failure to notify, and carrying a firearm while intoxicated, but reduced to DWI only for a guilty plea).

So in other words, make every effort you can to keep from printing and you'll be okay.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you search the forum this topic comes up frequently. First, I honestly don't believe that a bunch of non-gun people are looking people over to see if they are printing. Second, its not really that difficult to keep you stuff concealed with a good holster and appropriate clothing. Personally, I know plenty of people who conceal a fullsize gun with a good IWB holster and just a tshirt over it.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions. I think you have done a good job of explaining things. I wasn't expecting an all situation black and white answer and I don't carry recklessly.

I have overheard conversations in gun stores and gun shows that may have been urban legend but people saying things about people getting in trouble with the law if there was an inadvertent flash exposure of a portion of the carrier's gun. So, i did not know how a majority of law enforcement handled situations even if the person was not being reckless or trying to carry in an absurd manner.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm aquainted with the operations commander with my local police department (City of 100,000 people). I asked him if he had ever heard of any incident or had any problems with concealed carriers accidentally exposing their guns. He said he had never heard of any incidents and certainly never detained or arrested anyone for exposing their weapon.

I think people make a much bigger deal about this than it actually is.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Jam Master...If anything your behavior will dictate the response from people. Unfortunately, if you do a little reading on the Costco - Las Vegas situation it appears the man who lost his life wasn't showing good behavior.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paranoia about printing is a common first worry among new CC holders. It shouldn't be obvious that you're carrying (don't carry while wearing an all spandex body suit). Other than that, those that don't carry don't think about those kind of things. Most people walk around in a complete trance. Also, many people carry cell phone on their belts, pagers, etc. So if you have a shirt over your gun, nobody's going to think twice if they notice a little bulge. The only caveat is other CC holders....sometimes when we get bored we'll look to see if we can spot others that are carrying. My advice...get a good carry holster and gun belt, be reasonable when you dress for CC....then relax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom