CCW question for Wife, What pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to see if my wife wants to attend a concealed carry course. I am wanting input on what other wife's are carrying and what they feel comfortable with. I am looking for a small caliber or a larger caliber if there is some sort of reduced load.
She has not shot and I don't want a large gun that will teach bad habits.
What calibers and models have been good for you?

helmethead

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
right on... if she's never shot, train her with a 22.

my wife went to CCW with me, now she carries .38 special (ruger LCR) and loves it, she practices with it a lot, and knows it inside and out.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Personally I would put her on a 380. It has decent stopping power for a small caliber. Ruger makes a compact verson called the LCP that is pretty good. Kel-Tec is also pretty good.
Hope this helped

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on a P22. She can take her class with it, shoot it for a while, then rent or go with a friend to try out some other calibers or styles until she finds what she wants.

Glocks are good guns for CCW, little controls, frame styles remain the same across the line. My wife has a G19, and a Kahr K9. She can carry the Kahr more easily, so that is the one that she ends up carrying most of the time.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have her do the training with a .22 auto. P22 is okay, but Ruger basic Mark anything is more reliable as a rule. Then, as advised, have her try working up from .380 to something more potent. The little .380s are marginal in power, cute, easily concealed, and tend to kick when shooting at paper. (Nothing kicks if you are in a deal, but the kick does discourage practice.)

Don't rush the process. I suspect she might settle on something like a Glock in .40 cal. if concealment is not a problem. CB

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend you send her to TDSA's Introduction to Firearms for Women class first. Then practice with her on different pistols until she finds one she likes to shoot, and will carry. Then take her CCL course.

Just my .02 but she needs to know how to use the gun before she decides what she will carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom