CCW question for Wife, What pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take her to a gun shop and let her handle all the guns she wants. When she finds one that fits her hand (translate: a gun SHE likes the feel of), go find a range with rentals and let her shoot it. If she likes it still then buy one. If not, repeat until SHE finds what SHE wants.

I wouldn't worry too much about the caliber. If you act like it is not a big deal it won't be a big deal. I never even shot a .22 until the past year. Started out on 9mm. It wasn't long before I was shooting everything I could get my hands on. My favorite gun is a G31 (.357SIG).

Be prepared to buy several more guns ... her preference will change the more she shoots. I started out with an XD because I didn't like the feel of a Glock. However, after a little bit (when I became more proficient and my grip changed) I actually sold the XD and went back to Glock. I never did and still don't like the feel of the M&P in my hand. Everybody is different ...

Most of all, have fun!!! Good luck.

Prostick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. She has a Bersa 380 and she likes it, but magazines are expensive and ammo is hard to find. So she doesn't get to shot much. I would prefer to get her a 9mm in a slim frame. I was thinking about a Sig P6.

Does anyone know of any women pistol training classes in OKC area? She is planning to take the CC course soon and then she wants to take a beginning pistol class later.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a SIG P6 and Bersa UC 9. The guns fit in each others holsters and the Bersa does not have problems eating any of the SD ammo I have put through it like the P6 does. The only SD ammo I can get to feed in the P6 is the Powe-r-ball stuff. Both really good guns otherwise. The Bersa is not much wider, but since it is double stacked, carrys 13. The Bersa is the smallest double stacked pistol I have found for the price and reliability.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have put together a clinic that addresses this situation.

Have had good response.

We teach the basics of stance, grip, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through and the differences in revolvers and semi, single action vs double action, how to operate the guns, etc. We also teach safe handling of a handgun.

Then we go to the range and the students shoot about 10-25 rounds from 7-10 diff handguns, from .22 to .45. Both revolvers and semi, big guns and small, light and heavy. After this exercise, a woman has a good feel for what she likes.

Click on my website below and look under 'Classes' then 'Firearms For Women'.

The next clinic is in April or I can do a one on one clinic.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to see if my wife wants to attend a concealed carry course. I am wanting input on what other wife's are carrying and what they feel comfortable with. I am looking for a small caliber or a larger caliber if there is some sort of reduced load.
She has not shot and I don't want a large gun that will teach bad habits.
What calibers and models have been good for you?

What
does
she
want
to
carry?

Then
you
have
your
answer...

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lotsa good advice here. I would second the training ie TDSA and most of all she must be the one to choose. Let her decide what she can handle or can't. Let her make the decision, she is the one who will be carrying it, no one else.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I worked at Academy, I sold a ton of Bersa Thunder .380s. Women that bought them loved them. So much so, that later when my daughter wanted a pistol, I pointed her right at one. They are dependable, and accurate. 20 minutes of instruction and they can handle it themselves easily.

The only issue is magazines are expensive for it, and ammo is... well you know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom