Cetme.308 vs Saiga .308 vs L1A1 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SN13

New to the site!
Reaction score
My first post, but I've been waiting for a topic I have experience in.

I own 6 saigas. 5.45, .308, .30-06, 12ga, 20ga, X39.

The stock trigger on all Saigas sucks. It's not the platform's fault, it's ATF importation regulations fault. Basically the trigger in its default position has an extra linkage that increases slop and pull weight. The solution is a $35 Tapco G2 Trigger kit. Of course when you put in the new trigger, it gets installed further forward on the receiver in the normal AK position. But alas, this leaves a large gap between the monte-carlo style sporter stock and the trigger. Solution: $2 AK Grip nut/Screw and a $5-$20 US-Made Pistol grip. Installation of the pistol grip provides a solid feel and grip. But alas, this leaves one more problem. Now, with the montecarlo stock and Pistol-grip location, the length of pull is Long. The installation of a $25 AK Style Tapco US made stock, fixes this issue. Or, if you prefer, spend a little more and get an AR15 style stock. The magpuls are really nice.

My Saiga .308 v.21 usually holds 1 to 1.5" groups at 100 with Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo. It likes both the 168 and 175gr versions. It also shoots anything i've ever put in it.

The easiest solution to the whole .308 Saiga bad trigger issue, is to get a Version 21. Factory stock, the trigger is in the correct position and you get a Right-hand friendly wooden thumbhole stock. Using a "UTG Quick Detach" scope mount purchased from CDNN investments (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/aksiramoqude.html) you'll be able to mount a scope ALMOST over the center-line of bore. When used correctly, the mount will retain zero and have no issues. I've put 500 rounds of .308 through that scope mount, and 500 rounds of 7.62x39 AND 500 rounds of 12ga. and it's still working fine.

Here is my .308 V.21 and the 140lb doe that took a double-lung shot.

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_SN13_DSC07885.jpg

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_SN13_Der.jpg

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like my Saiga 308 with 21" barrel. It has the Tapco folding stock, which I'm not fond of, but I'll change that out this year.
It doesn't tear up cases. I have the Tapco G1 trigger and while it has some initial takeup, it is smooth and crisp.

ai918.photobucket.com_albums_ad22_Cheepshooter_Saiga308small.jpg

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys for the info and man not making it easy to chose lol. The deal on the L1A1 is really good and I know if he sells it before I get all my funds together I can find a Saiga for 100 bucks and some change less then the L1A1.

The Saiga design I know and it wont take long to get used to it. The stock will be the one that I need to get used to until I can change it out.

The L1A1 has a BSA scope and mounts hard to pass up on it.

Keep the info coming guys and thank you.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Century CETME that I got from a private sale at a show a few years ago. The first trip to the range explained why I got such a good deal on it. It is recommended to use only 7.62x51 (not commercial .308) ammo in these guns. Commercial .308 is loaded to a higher pressure than the military stuff. Don't know what some of the steel cased stuff would do. Brass cases are not a problem with them. If you buy a "new" one from Century, clean it and cycle it by hand for a while before shooting it. They can be gritty and stiff at first but should loosen up and smooth out some with use. If you can't get the windage right, send it back. Many of these have canted front sights but sometimes the problem here is more serious. The triple frame may be correctly aligned with the trunnion, but the whole assembly is installed in the receiver slightly rotated one direction or another.

The L1A1 is more fixable if you happen to get a dud from the angry monkeys at Century, unless the receiver is so far out of spec that you can't do anything with it.

I don't know a thing about the Saiga .308's, but since CIA didn't build them that would be a big plus in their column.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Century CETME that I got from a private sale at a show a few years ago. The first trip to the range explained why I got such a good deal on it. It is recommended to use only 7.62x51 (not commercial .308) ammo in these guns. Commercial .308 is loaded to a higher pressure than the military stuff. Don't know what some of the steel cased stuff would do. Brass cases are not a problem with them. If you buy a "new" one from Century, clean it and cycle it by hand for a while before shooting it. They can be gritty and stiff at first but should loosen up and smooth out some with use. If you can't get the windage right, send it back. Many of these have canted front sights but sometimes the problem here is more serious. The triple frame may be correctly aligned with the trunnion, but the whole assembly is installed in the receiver slightly rotated one direction or another.

The L1A1 is more fixable if you happen to get a dud from the angry monkeys at Century, unless the receiver is so far out of spec that you can't do anything with it.

I don't know a thing about the Saiga .308's, but since CIA didn't build them that would be a big plus in their column.

Thank you and good info to know on the Cetme as well. The one localy here I will pass on as its a big problem I think that wont work and its a few years old.

If I miss out on the L1A1 im going to go with a Saiga but might take a chance on a new Cetme................dang not sure yet.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just saw that CenterFiresystems.com has the Saiga .308 for $499 thats not to bad of a deal and I think its in under the price of the Cetme now.

I thought I saw the Saiga $450 someone where just not sure.

Keep the info coming guys thanks.

Reaction score
Sold the Saiga .308 a few years back, because it was heavy, espec. with the side-mounted scope mount, and it was not very ergo (bad trigger, awkward). Mr. SN13 above told you how to make it more ergo, so there's always that. Good rifle on a budget however. Was certainly reliable, and reasonably accurate.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Olympic, what you need to do is get your hands on a good example of each of these rifles and get to the range and burn about 100rds thru each one of them and decide then which one suites you the best.
CETME/Hk91 rifles are outstanding, Fal's are the bomb and saiga's, well you have a 308 ak-47, who wouldn't like that!
All three of these rifles are great sticks if you get a good original version of them. Some of these firms that throw junk rifles together could make anything into a piece of sh*t.
Go shoot these rifles and you will quickly know which one you want. T.P.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Olympic, what you need to do is get your hands on a good example of each of these rifles and get to the range and burn about 100rds thru each one of them and decide then which one suites you the best.
CETME/Hk91 rifles are outstanding, Fal's are the bomb and saiga's, well you have a 308 ak-47, who wouldn't like that!
All three of these rifles are great sticks if you get a good original version of them. Some of these firms that throw junk rifles together could make anything into a piece of sh*t.
Go shoot these rifles and you will quickly know which one you want. T.P.

Thanks T.P. I just wish we had an a rifle range in my area and I wish they had one rented firearms that are current.

I live in VA and I have to drive an hour and half to my families land in WV to shoot my rifles.

The only reason the Saiga stays a head I think is that I know the system since I own an AK-47.

The L1A1 I will have to learn it just like the Cetme. If I could find a Cetme with no problems I would buy it right now.

Keep the info coming. Thanks everyone.

SN13

New to the site!
Reaction score
Seriously, I can probably find someone in OK that has a Saiga-308. If they're anything like every other gun owner I've ever known, if you bring your own ammo, they'll let you shoot it. Ask in Saiga-12.com for peeps in OK. On this board you're asking OK gun owners if they own a Saiga .308, in Saiga-12.com you're asking saiga owners if they live in OK. Every Saiga owner i've ever met, is glad to let you test their guns. Heck if you can get down to Fort Lauderdale, FL, I'll be glad to let you test out all 6 of my saigas.

~SN13

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=51519 (I'm asking for ya :) )

Latest posts

Top Bottom