Cetme.308 vs Saiga .308 vs L1A1 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im going to go in and see how the stock feels and go from there but Im betting the L1A1 wins me over and I can always change out the sock.

Be careful on that stock issue; the L1A1 is by definition an "inch" rifle, and no one I know of makes an aftermarket "US" made stock for the inchers. You'll either have to figure out a way to end up with seven "922r" parts that don't include the handguards, pistol grip, and buttstock, and replace them with a foreign surplus set of furniture, or leave the "butthole" (thumbhole) stock on it. There may be one out there, but I've seen on another forum of a guy looking for a set for his L1A1, and no one seems to be able to help him out. There are other ways to get the golden seven parts, however, but it's just not as easy.

Having said that, I'm with arenathlete; I'm an FAL fan.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys just went to the shop today. I had a chance to stop in for a few seconds.

I put the L1A1 to my shoulder and well it felt good felt like it belonged there. The guy at the shop has info on what parts to change to get the other stock if I want it but for me it felt good.

I way 150lbs and 5"10" and the stock fit me good. I thought it wouldnt but thats one thing if and when I get it I dont think I will change.

I did find a place the other day making stocks to 922r rules not sure if I marked it. The price was like 229-269 for that.

The gun felt good in the shoulder and now that I know the stock dosnt bother me and Im going with the L1A1 unless it sells before I go back.

Its been in there a month now so Im not sure its going any where soon or I hope not for me but if it does it does.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a Saiga .308 and a CETME, and know a bit about the FAL type rifles, as well.

The Saiga was great... I had the 21" barreled version with the Dragunov-type stock with the twisting cheek rest that sits high for a scope and twists out of the way for iron sight use. It was VERY optics-friendly with that stock. Accuracy was just fine, but probably not quite as good as some of the others. The problem with this rifle is mag cost.

The CETME was a pretty good rifle... it was kind of heavy though. Scopes are hard to mount. It was accurate, and has the cheapest mags of any rifle out there. You can find them for $1 a pop sometimes. They have pretty decent aperture sights, but aren't adjustable.

The FAL/L1A1s are die hard reliable, plenty accurate, and easy/cheap to find parts for. Easy to mount a scope, cheap mags... there aren't a whole lot of downsides to a FAL. They have an aperture sight that is somewhat adjustable. Nothing like an M14's sights, but hey.

I would say you left the best one off the list: the M-14. I also have one of these and like it better than any other rifle I own or have owned. The best iron sights of any battle rifle in the world, very accurate, very reliable, easy to mount optics, set up perfectly for a GI sling, cheap enough mags, spare parts are widely available... there's just no downside at all. Plus, they just feel so right. Hold one, or better, shoot one, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen chinese M-14s in the $800 range at gun shows. They work just fine.

But if you find a good deal on a FAL/L1A1, by all means snap it up. I actually think anybody who likes battle rifles should have at least one of both an M14 and a FAL variant. I kind of have my eye out for a deal on a FAL right now myself!

Also, you mentioned that you'd heard the short-barreled Saigas are better... I wouldn't agree with that. A .308 with a less than an 18" barrel burns a lot of the powder after the bullet has left the barrel, which results in a lower velocity bullet and decreased max effective range. It also makes a much louder muzzle blast and a huge flash, which can give away your position. Unless you're getting a rifle for kicking in doors or something (why you would want a .308 for this I have no idea), I would stay away from the 16" barreled saigas, FALs, or M14s.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen chinese M-14s in the $800 range at gun shows. They work just fine.

But if you find a good deal on a FAL/L1A1, by all means snap it up. I actually think anybody who likes battle rifles should have at least one of both an M14 and a FAL variant. I kind of have my eye out for a deal on a FAL right now myself!

Also, you mentioned that you'd heard the short-barreled Saigas are better... I wouldn't agree with that. A .308 with a less than an 18" barrel burns a lot of the powder after the bullet has left the barrel, which results in a lower velocity bullet and decreased max effective range. It also makes a much louder muzzle blast and a huge flash, which can give away your position. Unless you're getting a rifle for kicking in doors or something (why you would want a .308 for this I have no idea), I would stay away from the 16" barreled saigas, FALs, or M14s.

Hey thanks for the info and no this gun is not for kicking in doors lol to long of a barrel for that and my AR or AK could handle that and a .308 might be over kill lol not sure.

I want a good long range gun and L1A1 fits what im looking for. Also the price I confirmed I can get it for 659 out the door. I maybe able to get ten bucks more off if I can its a good deal. The gun has been well kept and is very clean.

I have not seen any of the china copies of the M14s in my area and Im sure they would be high. I looked at a used remington 870 and it was about 80 bucks from retail. That should give an idea of how the shops are in the area.

This new shop is great and better prices not just saying that since they are friends but they are in touch with what shooters want.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's a good price on the L1A1. They're great rifles, I think you'd be happy with it.

Then once you have a good battle rifle, you have to make sure you have the skills to get the full benefit of its capabilities! After all, that is an 800 yard rifle, at least. As far as skills go, there's nothing better than an Appleseed marksmanship clinic. $80 for a weekend of solid marksmanship training, military style, from field positions and all, and you'll learn some awesome revolutionary war history, too.

We're having one at the Badlands Tactical range in Grandfield, OK on April 16-17. You'll have the opportunity to shoot that thing out to 1000 yards there. Look in the "training" section of this forum for the review of the one we just had in Oklahoma City last weekend.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's a good price on the L1A1. They're great rifles, I think you'd be happy with it.

Then once you have a good battle rifle, you have to make sure you have the skills to get the full benefit of its capabilities! After all, that is an 800 yard rifle, at least. As far as skills go, there's nothing better than an Appleseed marksmanship clinic. $80 for a weekend of solid marksmanship training, military style, from field positions and all, and you'll learn some awesome revolutionary war history, too.

We're having one at the Badlands Tactical range in Grandfield, OK on April 16-17. You'll have the opportunity to shoot that thing out to 1000 yards there. Look in the "training" section of this forum for the review of the one we just had in Oklahoma City last weekend.

Thanks for the info I did wonder the range on the .308 and the L1A1. Im in Virginia so thats a long ways away to get to a class would love to go but to far for me.

I do come from a family that hunts a lot and I have a cousin that when he does go hunting I have never seen him come out of the woods without a deer.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys I think I can say Im going to be a proud owner of an L1A1. I called in today and it was still on the wall. I was supposed to call back before clossing and it didnt happen but I emailed so I will pick it up tomorrow or monday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom