Cetme.308 vs Saiga .308 vs L1A1 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, I can probably find someone in OK that has a Saiga-308. If they're anything like every other gun owner I've ever known, if you bring your own ammo, they'll let you shoot it. Ask in Saiga-12.com for peeps in OK. On this board you're asking OK gun owners if they own a Saiga .308, in Saiga-12.com you're asking saiga owners if they live in OK. Every Saiga owner i've ever met, is glad to let you test their guns. Heck if you can get down to Fort Lauderdale, FL, I'll be glad to let you test out all 6 of my saigas.

~SN13

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=51519 (I'm asking for ya :) )

Im in Virginia. I see more ARs in .308 and FALs then anything.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the L1A1 the shop has. I know the guy who owns and it was taken with a cell phone camera.

Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• L1A1pic3.jpg
    L1A1pic3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 229
  • L1A1pic2.jpg
    L1A1pic2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 174

starpacker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the L1A1 the shop has. I know the guy who owns and it was taken with a cell phone camera.

Tell me what you think.

Hi,
One really important thought, the Saiga is NEW, assembled by the orginal desiners, not re-built and reworked by an importer for an elevated sale.
JMHO, I went with the saiga 308 v-21 and the 7.62x39 both with 20+barrels.
The 308 is stamped 308 win AND 7.62x51, will safetly handel both..
The mags are around 35 dollars ea, I have 3. How many do you need?
Have you ever humped 10 or more Loaded 20 round mags? I have and unless your going to war, you will leave all but a couple at home.
There are drums,(50rnds) and extended mags from 5 to 25 rnds available for the Saiga 308.
Saiga also makes a 7.62x54 or 30.06 round but very scarce imported.
The x39 model can be converted / modifided with simple hand tools and average 2 hour time frame (for the first time) back to orginal AK design, along with inexpensive mods to accept standard AK (cheap surplus mags).
IMHO a very versital rifle at an affordable price.
I also like the FAL's but can't afford the price and won't accept the re-builds.
Choose what YOU want to make that inner beast we all strive to feed.
Good shooting,

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
One really important thought, the Saiga is NEW, assembled by the orginal desiners, not re-built and reworked by an importer for an elevated sale.
JMHO, I went with the saiga 308 v-21 and the 7.62x39 both with 20+barrels.
The 308 is stamped 308 win AND 7.62x51, will safetly handel both..
The mags are around 35 dollars ea, I have 3. How many do you need?
Have you ever humped 10 or more Loaded 20 round mags? I have and unless your going to war, you will leave all but a couple at home.
There are drums,(50rnds) and extended mags from 5 to 25 rnds available for the Saiga 308.
Saiga also makes a 7.62x54 or 30.06 round but very scarce imported.
The x39 model can be converted / modifided with simple hand tools and average 2 hour time frame (for the first time) back to orginal AK design, along with inexpensive mods to accept standard AK (cheap surplus mags).
IMHO a very versital rifle at an affordable price.
I also like the FAL's but can't afford the price and won't accept the re-builds.
Choose what YOU want to make that inner beast we all strive to feed.
Good shooting,

i've seen a saiga 30-06 but i have yet to see a 7.62X54R saiga but that would be sweet with a 21in barrel and 20 round mags

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me what you guys think of the shorter barrel Saiga in .308. I hear its a better choice.

Im going tomorrow to my local dealer and check out the L1A1 and maybe an M14 clone that is used and I might end up with one of them or a Saiga.

Thanks guys.

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the FAL, you won't be dissapointed............

I owned a proper head-spaced CETME(checked with a feeler gauge from my mechanic) and a blast to shoot, recoil was a bit heavier than I expected but there is a MAJOR difference between it and the HK G3 variant. Put those two side-to-side and you'll understand very quickly why the HK sells for much more.

The cetme is probably good out to 200yrds with the crap sights on man-sized targets, otherwise the HK aluminum mags are $1 from cheaperthandirt.com, much better than Saiga or FAL mags

Saiga's IMO aren't that good a rifle, a cheap Russian build is no better than a cheap Polish, Romanian, or etc build. AND, if you're not one to tinker with your firearms, then the Saiga will start to become expensive to trick-out.

Before last year I had no experience with FAL's, but now I'm completely sold on the platform; it doesn't garner much support except from people that shoot them.

Good luck and congrats on stepping up to the .30 caliber

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the FAL, you won't be dissapointed............

I owned a proper head-spaced CETME(checked with a feeler gauge from my mechanic) and a blast to shoot, recoil was a bit heavier than I expected but there is a MAJOR difference between it and the HK G3 variant. Put those two side-to-side and you'll understand very quickly why the HK sells for much more.

The cetme is probably good out to 200yrds with the crap sights on man-sized targets, otherwise the HK aluminum mags are $1 from cheaperthandirt.com, much better than Saiga or FAL mags

Saiga's IMO aren't that good a rifle, a cheap Russian build is no better than a cheap Polish, Romanian, or etc build. AND, if you're not one to tinker with your firearms, then the Saiga will start to become expensive to trick-out.

Before last year I had no experience with FAL's, but now I'm completely sold on the platform; it doesn't garner much support except from people that shoot them.

Good luck and congrats on stepping up to the .30 caliber

Hey thanks I just sold my mac10 tonight so Im close to the L1A1 I think like 50 bucks give or take on it. I have the full fund for the Saiga but the L1A1 has been a gun I have chased for awhile but just couldnt affored it and still wouldnt be able to if it wasnt a friends gun and for him not liking the stock.

Im going to go in and see how the stock feels and go from there but Im betting the L1A1 wins me over and I can always change out the sock.

If I can sell a few other things I have listed on some boards then Im there on the funds.

Thanks everyone for the info and keep it coming as my mind is not 100% made up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom