Cheapest place to get a hot water tank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lowes sells whirpool brand, i wouldnt suggest getting that brand, if he can wait till monday i would go to a plumbing supply store and get a NAME brand, A O SMITH, RHEEM, BRAFORD WHITE, something thats got a good history behind it...

Locke supply would be my choice.

A big plus one to the above!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheaper and better are two different things.

We're talking same items... and even with the discounts...

I know that it varies from Locke to Locke. I know quite a few pros who take their business to the one in Lawton or to one in OKC simply because it's worth the trip.

It's kind of like Lampton's. I hear people talk all the time about how good they are, etc... The one in Clinton tried to sell me a new welder $100 above MSRP with the guy telling me that it was a deal I couldn't pass up because he was knocking nearly half the price off. I had come in for a replacement mig torch. I guess khaki pants and a polo shirt made me look like I wouldn't know. First time there, and I haven't been back since.

Anyway, sorry for the hi-jack. If your Locke is good, then I'd say give them a try. Or possibly Grainger (though I don't know what they carry). But like I said, the scratch and dents at the big box stores can be a good place to find a great deal if your timing is right.

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a plumbing place on 10th Street that we have bought heating elements for the hot water tank from. Their prices seemed okay. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place right now ...

I think they are somewhere between MacArthur and Council on the north side of the road.

It has been a couple of years since we were there ... They did have name brand stuff there.

The guys at Locke Supply sent us there.

Winnelson?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a plumbing place on 10th Street that we have bought heating elements for the hot water tank from. Their prices seemed okay. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place right now ...

I think they are somewhere between MacArthur and Council on the north side of the road.

It has been a couple of years since we were there ... They did have name brand stuff there.

The guys at Locke Supply sent us there.

I cant remember the name, but the Locke in Moore sent me there too when looking for a divertor for my faucet, and I didnt want to replace my faucet

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're talking same items... and even with the discounts...

I know that it varies from Locke to Locke. I know quite a few pros who take their business to the one in Lawton or to one in OKC simply because it's worth the trip.

It's kind of like Lampton's. I hear people talk all the time about how good they are, etc... The one in Clinton tried to sell me a new welder $100 above MSRP with the guy telling me that it was a deal I couldn't pass up because he was knocking nearly half the price off. I had come in for a replacement mig torch. I guess khaki pants and a polo shirt made me look like I wouldn't know. First time there, and I haven't been back since.

Anyway, sorry for the hi-jack. If your Locke is good, then I'd say give them a try. Or possibly Grainger (though I don't know what they carry). But like I said, the scratch and dents at the big box stores can be a good place to find a great deal if your timing is right.

The store over here in okc is great, im there 2-3 times a week at least(for work). We buy enough stuff there i have gotten to know the guy who runs the sales there and if i ever need something i get it at the same price as my work does which is cost + 7%

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GE and Whirlpool gas water heaters are sold by Lowes and Home depot and they suck.
They are both made by American water heater co of Tn.
Theres a class action suit against them cause of their flame out system.

Bradford White would be my choice for gas.

You really don't have a lot of choice as theres only 4 companies that make all the water heaters. they just stick different names on them.

I've got 8 houses and as the heaters crap out I've been replacing them with electrics and
wrapping them with insulation. more efficent. IMHO
I'm at 5 electrics and 3 gas now.

finnimus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer locke in OKC over all of the big box stores. From what I have heard from multiple tradesmen, the products at a professional supply store are of a higher quality than the major chains. The major chains are more concerned about price, so the manufacturers use lesser quality internals. At the time I was given this info, they weren't trying to sell me anything. It was in general conversation.

Locke in OKC on 39th has always been good to me.

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does Winnelson carry water heaters? I know they have all kinds of plumbing stuff , but , didnt know they have water heaters.

I am still saying Locke. Locke deals with mostly residential plumbing items. A lot of their business was dependant on new home construction. Now that new construction is in the toilet I am willing to bet they can get with any of the big box stores as far as pricing goes and provide you with a better product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom