Chronograph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with software guestimates - BC is not a constant.

The only time I've found crony useful: choosing between two powders for hunting loads near maximum - see which one has more oompf.

Of course there is the whole SD vs accuracy notion ... but I'm yet to see SD out of whack on hand-weighed ammo regardless of load, even though some groups look like #00 from 30 yards.

I don't disagree at all, thats why I said it just a good start. :D

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a chrony and a pact. I haven't had the pact long enough to really wring it out, so my opinion on that will come later. I do like the remote skyscreens as I have shot the lense off of one of the photocells on my chrony.. I use the chronograph in load development. I use a lot of surplus powders and have found that the information given with them is sometimes not even close. By starting low and chronographing the loads, looking at pressure signs on the primer and measuring the case expansion at the web area, I can work up loads that are safe in my particular guns. It is a very necessary tool for the type load experimentation that I do. One project involved working up a rifle load in .40sw caliber for a beretta carbine that my son shoots. By combining hard cast swc coated with a wax/moly lube, I was able to get about 300 fps better velocity consistently without increased pressure signs, over what factory pistol ammo would deliver in the long barrel. I used a surplus version of AA#7 to get there. slower burning powder, better lube and careful analysis of what was happening made it work. Blitz

RangeHound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the ProChrono at Midway USA and have been happy with it. The only item I would like is a remote so I don't have to walk over to it to get the readings. But for the price and number of times I use it works fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom