Cigar Box Guitar Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea to buy a small travel guitar for a deployment and stumbled across the cigar box guitar builds.
This would be a great cheap project for me and the kids and I've always loved slide guitar, but never have pursued it.
Anyone have experience? I' going to start gathering materials and see what I can come up with.
It will be a fretless design and I plan to keep it simple.
Do local cigar shops sell the empty boxes? They are dirt cheap online but no point shipping a $5 box

MavMatt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cigar shop in owasso has them for $2, ive bought a few of the nice wooden ones to keep stuff in. Some are really well built.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were some really nice wooden cigar boxes at the fairgrounds gun show, mostly foreign, for $15-$25. Not sure what you're looking for, but like the others say, check the local shops. Sounds like a really cool project.

I was watching "Alaska - The Last Frontier" the other day, the big guy Shane, built a 1 string, electric guitar out of a shovel for his dad... lol

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at Justin Johnson on youtube. He has some videos playing 3 string shovels. They sound amazing.
When I get started, I'll try to take some pics and post progression.
I'l touch base with my local cigar shops

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this the look you are going for?

b5c104ca45ab7f2dcb3183f9924ba6de--blues-music-funk.jpg

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at Justin Johnson on youtube. He has some videos playing 3 string shovels. They sound amazing.
When I get started, I'll try to take some pics and post progression.
I'l touch base with my local cigar shops
That's so cool! I always wanted to play, but I could never withstand the fingertip pain long enough to get through the callusing stage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom