Citizens Can Too

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got this in the mail today:

To: <>
Sent: Sat, November 14, 2009 2:02:46 PM
Subject: Law Enforcement Prohibited From Carrying firearms To Gunshow

On Saturday, November 14, 2009, I traveled to the Wanenmacher Gun Show located at the Tulsa County Fairgrounds Expo Building.

I was informed by a Tulsa County Deputy that "off duty" law enforcement officers could not carry their loaded firearms into the gun show. "It was the rule."

The deputy further stated that he was not allowed to carry in the gun show if he was in plain cloths and off duty.

Incredible!

Of course I did not choose to force the issue at the time. Instead, I chose to not spend my money at the Wanenmacher Gun Show.

I am only guessing, but there is a high probability that the Tulsa County Deputy I spoke with knew what he was saying was unenforceable. The deputy may possibly have said what he was told to say, or how to say it.

Personally, I would not work anywhere where I was told to enforce or discourage or by "Verbal Design" attempt to stop a sworn law enforcement officer from carrying his weapon.

The BOK Center recently attempted to implement a policy like the one just described. As most of you know, the BOK Center officials raised the ire of law enforcement.

Law enforcement officers, the Fraternal Order of Police and even Prosecutors all agreed that sworn law enforcement personnel cannot be prohibited from carrying their firearms.

The only exceptions are while flying on commercial airlines. However, there are special rules and regulations.

Wanenmacher or any other private or public entities cannot pass or implement rules or laws that attempt to supersede by design or by ignorance that would be in direct conflict of a federal statute.

If the gun shows across America, want the support of rank and file law enforcement officers, they should rethink their positions on the matter.

What I experienced today would make Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Sarah Brady celebrate.

It is time for all law enforcement officers to speak out and put a stop to this arbitrary administrative policy.

Mike O’Keefe
Chief of Police
Dewey Police Department
409 East Don Tyler Avenue
Dewey, OK 74029-2315
Office: 918.534.1933
Mobile: 918.639.9209
Fax: 918.534.0313

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of City of Tulsa BS. On another note, why is the Sheriff's Office providing security services for the CITY of TULSA fairgrounds again? You bought it, you need to provide ALL services for it. Oh, I forgot the city just wanted the extra revenue, not the responsibility.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a cherokee county sherrif yesterday with an empty magwell and zip tied pistol in his holster. I also know of an individual today who's CCW was spotted, he was told to unload it and surrender his ammo at the door and told he could pick it up on the way out.

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...I also know of an individual today who's CCW was spotted, he was told to unload it and surrender his ammo at the door and told he could pick it up on the way out.

That's interesting, Saturday morning, they were making announcements that anyone caught with a loaded weapon would be prosecuted.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once upon a time we were told that once sworn in the only time we were considered off duty was upon retirement or when we left the department. (But that was in a different State, and County)

Do remember a few years ago 2 or 3 when someone let the booger-hook pull the bang maker and shot someone at the show with a .410 (I think it was a 410) that was "unloaded" Lots of announcements that day.

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once upon a time we were told that once sworn in the only time we were considered off duty was upon retirement or when we left the department. (But that was in a different State, and County)

Do remember a few years ago 2 or 3 when someone let the booger-hook pull the bang maker and shot someone at the show with a .410 (I think it was a 410) that was "unloaded" Lots of announcements that day.

To the best of my knowledge your first statement is still true and law. That is the point of "swearing in" an officer. He/She is sworn to "serve, protect, and defend" the public at all times, not just durring an 8 or 12 hour shift.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I don't recall seeing any signs or postings at Wanenmachers yesterday, but I really didn't look :D. I also don't recall any pat downs or metal detectors. Concealed means concealed. I left mine in the car, really.
The rules at the gun show are the rules OF the gun show and not city ordinace so far as I know.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of City of Tulsa BS. On another note, why is the Sheriff's Office providing security services for the CITY of TULSA fairgrounds again? You bought it, you need to provide ALL services for it. Oh, I forgot the city just wanted the extra revenue, not the responsibility.

The Tulsa fairgrounds is county property, not city property.

bob

Latest posts

Top Bottom