City Of Norman Compost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmyers09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys I am just curious here if anyone has any experience with the city of normans free compost. I drove down there today and got a truck load... for those of you that dont know about it check out this link. http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/utilities/sa/sanitation-compost-facility.
My concern is they said it is compost of grass clippings leaves and limps but do you think it would be safe to use in vegetable gardens? the only reason I have concerns is because of the chemicals people use on there lawns. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents used it in their garden with no ill effects. I know it (the compost facility) catches fire every now and then; the last time was just a few months ago...

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hey guys I am just curious here if anyone has any experience with the city of normans free compost. I drove down there today and got a truck load... for those of you that dont know about it check out this link.

Two years ago my wife got compost from the City of Norman and it had a LOT of woody material in it. We decided it was better to just buy garden soil or use our own compost instead.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used some and it was too wood and back in the old days when it would actully rain this stuff would float away and bunch up by the fence PITA. Would not recomend it to use.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use it in my garden with no problems.

That said, I'd call it mulch, not compost. Lots of large-ish woody material, not the rich black humus I'm used to as compost.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the grass clippings having chemicals on them. Almost every lawn-care company I've seen will cut the lawn prior to spraying. This is more effective for the customer and cost-wise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom