Norman Residents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about gyms and movie theaters?

They must have general sales tax permits if they make retail sales to the general public, and be registered with the Oklahoma Tax Commission and IRS to collect and remit withholding from employees. And, if the business is owned by any entity or individual that is not a resident of or incorporated in Oklahoma they must register with the Oklahoma Secretary of State as a foreign entity.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having the businesses open is counter to the recommended social isolation from the CDC. The mayor had the authority to tell them to closed sit-in dining and they are following the order. You’re in my Ward so I doubt Bill will respond to your letter (based on his interaction with the Ward 6 Facebook page).

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having the businesses open is counter to the recommended social isolation from the CDC. The mayor had the authority to tell them to closed sit-in dining and they are following the order. You’re in my Ward so I doubt Bill will respond to your letter (based on his interaction with the Ward 6 Facebook page).

Where the mayor drew the authority to close a private business is what my question was. Bill actually did respond fairly quickly, and forwarded my email to the City Counsel. Her response was rather condescending and basically said the mayor had "broad authority" to do what she did, without actually referencing where exactly that authority came from. I looked up the actual City Code referenced in the Mayor's proclamation (2-109). That code is titled "Duties of the Mayor" and mentions nothing except appointing city officials. Code 2-111 is the Code that deals with emergencies.

I pointed out in my email that the Mayor's proclamation referenced the wrong City Code (2-109 vs 2-111), and the Counsel responded with a "corrected" proclamation, except the very first paragraph still referenced the wrong Code. So do I think they give a rats --- what I think? Nope, not one bit.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I attended some meetings back in '01 about a proposed project in East Norman.

I have never, as an adult, wanted to belt someone in the mouth as much as I wanted to bust the city attorney at those meetings. I know his job is to look out for the city's interests, but the city's interests should never run counter to the citizens' interests.

As a matter of fact, it still makes me mad almost 20 years later, and it takes a LOT to make me that mad.

Their city attorneys think they are God’s gift to law. But in fact their contract with the city employees is among the most poorly negotiated in the nation. Scheduling , pay rates, and benefits to salary ratio are ridiculous. They tried to tell me it would take $41k a year in salary and benefits to employee a dog walker. ALL but 2 employees at the shelter had weekends off. The person with the job title “adoption coordinator” had weekends off and got paid all day overtime for taking 5 dogs to petsmart Sat adoption events. Even then, volunteers did most of the work. Their attitude and ability to manage are beyond pathetic. Half the number of staff with better attitudes could do a better job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Where the mayor drew the authority to close a private business is what my question was. Bill actually did respond fairly quickly, and forwarded my email to the City Counsel. Her response was rather condescending and basically said the mayor had "broad authority" to do what she did, without actually referencing where exactly that authority came from. I looked up the actual City Code referenced in the Mayor's proclamation (2-109). That code is titled "Duties of the Mayor" and mentions nothing except appointing city officials. Code 2-111 is the Code that deals with emergencies.

I pointed out in my email that the Mayor's proclamation referenced the wrong City Code (2-109 vs 2-111), and the Counsel responded with a "corrected" proclamation, except the very first paragraph still referenced the wrong Code. So do I think they give a rats --- what I think? Nope, not one bit.

I’d like to be a bug on the wall watching them “work” from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suddenly.............all these people Know what is good for you, and your family. ....yet they cannot perform simple duties such as keeping the street free of litter and potholes.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suddenly.............all these people Know what is good for you, and your family. ....yet they cannot perform simple duties such as keeping the street free of litter and potholes.

yes, experts in virology likely do know what is best for slowing the spread of diseases.

But funny you should mention litter since everyone doing what they themselves could to limit it would likely have a large impact on the overall amount. It'd only leave the selfish ones who feel they don't need to worry about such things as the spreaders...

Latest posts

Top Bottom