Coleman Lantern Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a coleman lantern I have used for years and now it will burn bright a few minutes and then fade out and quit. I have never worked on one of these. Anyone know what I need to do to fix it? Seems to hold pressure sometimes and sometimes not but I can not keep it going.

ChaseOK

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Provided you have fresh fuel in it, you might check the seal in the fuel cap to insure it is in good condition and able to hold constant pressure. The generator could be partially clogged (brass stem in the center) It has an internal shaft that moves up and down inside of a coil allowing the fuel through the jet at the top. Be careful if you remove it to clean the carbon because there is a very thin wire attached to the end and it can be damaged easily.
Hope that helps.

Is it a single round knob style or does it have a round knob and a small crank handle?

ejcanuck

New to the site!
Reaction score
Try putting some lube (chapstick or something) on the gasket for the pressure plunger if the other suggestions don't work. They dry quickly and you can lose pressure if it isn't properly sealed and secured.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try putting some lube (chapstick or something) on the gasket for the pressure plunger if the other suggestions don't work. They dry quickly and you can lose pressure if it isn't properly sealed and secured.
Fuel cap, generator, and especially this ^^^^^.

I've had more trouble with the pump diaphragm drying out than anything. A little gun oil will usually get them to seal right up.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pump feels strong and I am getting pressure in it but not keeping it. I'll let you know how it comes out. I'll use some soapy water on the tank cap and if that is ok, I'll check the generator. I've had it a long time and it has been used alot. It may be carboned up or something. May be a good time to get one of the new dual fuels. The last tank of Coleman fuel I bought at Walmart was over $8 for 1 gal.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for saving money, I'm so tight I squeak at times. the amount of time you've invested in that thing, I'd trade up.
I didn't know anyone still used fuel lanterns. I have an 18v rechargeable battery job. 2 batteries get's me through an all nighter. brightness is the same as far as I can tell, but it's been years since I've one.

ChaseOK

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm all for saving money, I'm so tight I squeak at times. the amount of time you've invested in that thing, I'd trade up.
I didn't know anyone still used fuel lanterns.

In a pinch, I can use the fuel I have for my lawnmowers to keep it going and as a benefit, it puts off heat which is handy during the winter. (yes, if used inside be sure to have proper ventilation)

Latest posts

Top Bottom