colorado getting a nuke power plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it’s a fusion plant that produces so much waste vs a fission plant that eats its own waste that Your thinking of?
I may have that backwards?
They're all fission reaction plants and they produce the radioactive wastes. Fusion takes too great of temps and tremendous pressure to combine the nucleuses, but also doesn't produce the radioactive wastes. That's best used when it doesn't need to be controlled like when we dropped them on Japan 2x.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This country is littered with "nuclear" power plants that never actually went nuclear. IOW, that never started up. One can see the cooling towers here and there.

As for the Co plant, I seriously doubt it will ever happen.

One thing that authoritarians don't want it cheap power. Think about it. Controlling access to power is, well, controlling almost everything.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We need to be building more nuclear power plants if we ever want to have real "green energy" That and hydro electric are the only two that really work at this stage of tech development. Tidal could work too in certain areas. We need to build them and use them to help power desalination plants along with charging electric cars for city dwellers.

I forget the name of it but there is one type of nuclear plant that is much safer and the waste has a much shorter half life.

desalination adds the salt back into the water, it’s called something after it’s desalinated can’t remember the name. But it’s probably harmful to ocean critters. Not sure if desalination is perfected yet.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
desalination adds the salt back into the water, it’s called something after it’s desalinated can’t remember the name. But it’s probably harmful to ocean critters. Not sure if desalination is perfected yet.
I believe they are selling it as Sea Salt nowadays. The Israelis have been doing it for years and I think it was GE was running ads a few years ago about how they are getting fresh water from the ocean.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the term you're looking for is brine if it's the water that's going back into the ocean. Not really harmful as it would only elevate the salt content pretty locally and would disperse quickly. The technology is reverse osmosis and is pretty well perfected. Ships use it and I have a unit I used to use for aquarium water. The reason it's not that common is that it's power intensive, due to needing a high pressure gradient between input and output sides to work.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the term you're looking for is brine if it's the water that's going back into the ocean. Not really harmful as it would only elevate the salt content pretty locally and would disperse quickly. The technology is reverse osmosis and is pretty well perfected. Ships use it and I have a unit I used to use for aquarium water. The reason it's not that common is that it's power intensive, due to needing a high pressure gradient between input and output sides to work.
When I was in the Navy 22 years ago our desalination plant could produce 50,000 gallons a day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom