Colorado/NM camping suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a camping trip in late April/Early May and are wanting to go in the Southern Colorado/Northern NM rocky mountain areas. I was hoping that some of you might have some suggestions on a destination. We are both experienced at camping and have all weather gear etc. We're not really looking for a state park developed camping area, but we're not wanting to hike 20 miles into the bush either. Maybe something in between. Would love to hear suggestions and see pics if you have any. Thanks.

toe

finishnailer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
North of Red River, take the rough dirt road to Cabresto lake. The trail up to Hart Lake into the Latir wilderness is fatally beautiful. It's a tough 4-5 miles, worth every drop of sweat! Great places for camping, Hart lake is around 11000'.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The terrain between Santa Fe and Chama is wonderful. Up canyon (Toward Wolf Creek Pass) from Pagosa Springs, CO are truely beautiful camping/ hiking areas worth considering. The Springs Resort is also worth spending a night or two at, if just to find out how hot is too hot ;)

Still going to have snowpack at higher altitudes. Most of the Ski areas close mid April. If you enjoy earning your turns, you can get in on great snow and a unique social experience in some of the late season basins.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pagosa Springs has the San Juan National Forest. Spent a lot of time there a youngster. If you want to go further south in NM, go to the Lincoln National Forest around Ruidoso and Cloudcroft. My mother owns a lot of land that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom