Colt Trooper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never use Hoppes #9 bore solvent on nickel. It’ll eat it off if given enough time. Usually as it weeps out from nooks and crannies that don’t get wiped off good. A friend once destroyed the finish on a Colt Commander with it. I think he may have cried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is nickel cleaned, then? I just have two nickel-plated S&W's, both of them somewhat old.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never use Hoppes #9 bore solvent on nickel. It’ll eat it off if given enough time. Usually as it weeps out from nooks and crannies that don’t get wiped off good. A friend once destroyed the finish on a Colt Commander with it. I think he may have cried.
I never knew that. Thanks for the heads up.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason it's hard on nickel is because Hoppes #9 has a chemical in it that's related to ammonia for the removal of copper. When they plate nickel onto a steel surface they have to put on a real thin coat of copper for it to stick to because it won't stick to any steels well at all.

Use CLP, Ballistol (my favorite all purpose "won't hurt anything" CLP), Hoppes Elite (water based and really good cleaner), or anything that doesn't have any ammonia for copper removal. They say that Ballistol removes copper, but if it does it's a completely different chemical mechanism that does it. Given enough time Hoppes #9, Sweets 7.62, Shooters Choice, etc. will strip the nickel completely off.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason it's hard on nickel is because Hoppes #9 has a chemical in it that's related to ammonia for the removal of copper. When they plate nickel onto a steel surface they have to put on a real thin coat of copper for it to stick to because it won't stick to any steels well at all.

Use CLP, Ballistol (my favorite all purpose "won't hurt anything" CLP), Hoppes Elite (water based and really good cleaner), or anything that doesn't have any ammonia for copper removal. They say that Ballistol removes copper, but if it does it's a completely different chemical mechanism that does it. Given enough time Hoppes #9, Sweets 7.62, Shooters Choice, etc. will strip the nickel completely off.
Thanks. You might have saved some folks so serious issues.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I DO know where there is a trooper, at least I think it's a trooper, in 45 colt?
Can anyone verify if they made it in LC? The owner recently asked me what's worth, so I think he might be thinking of selling it. It's a four inch nickel gun but I'm not 100% on the model.
What's the approximate value? I looked on GB with little success.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I learn something new all the time on this site. Now if I ever get a nickel plated gun I won't screw it up. Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom