Considering a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I've got two Harleys - a Sportster, and a Low Rider S. Guess which one is more fun to ride? I may look like a praying mantis screwing a pill bug when I'm on it, but the Sporty is a blast to ride. And the "HDs break down" thing is overblown. I've not had any problems out of mine, nor have my sons, and the three they've gone through.
yeah in the grand scheme motorcycles are going be "more reliable" than just about any other auto (car, truck, suv, van) just due to having a significantly less complex machinery, number of parts, wiring, etc. etc. there's just less stuff to break and when it does you can usually see it and notice it immediately. far easier to perform checks, i mean realistically how often do we inspect our car brakes? i look at my bike's rotors EVERY time i get on, why not?

most guys crap on harleys out of brand hate and haven't ever ridden one. i haven't; i got no hate i just accept it isn't my style. i've always been a japanese import guy when it comes to things that spin and rev.

and i have no idea how some of you old timers even ride those boobers man. you guys are sitting lower than me in my miata; i swear i'm almost as high on my ninja as i am in my '92 cheyenne truck. if you don't tuck, you are sitting pretty high on a "crotch rocket", it's like riding a short horse.

i had a former gf who a photographer at rot rally. she had some pictures.... LOL

i take old timers riding bobbers to old guys riding recumbent bicycles. easier to get up on than a tall road bike, but once you're down there you aren't seeing much so hopefully nothing gets in front of you lol. one you turn, you don't have much distance to "lean" compared to a high up road bike. you need wide open road.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember, always in your head. There are two types of motorcycle riders. Those who have wrecked them and those who will. I owned a lot of bikes when I was younger and I'm getting the urge to get another. Driving on OK highways always makes me rethink it. Hell, I was going to pick up a new Honda Rebel 500 about two weeks ago and the incessant rain has me rethinking that now too.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might also look at the bikes with two front wheels. My uncle (who recently turned 73) rode bikes all his life, from crotch rockets to full dressers, is now riding one of those (a CanAm, maybe?) because hip and back problems keep him off a regular 'cycle. He loves that thing, and said he could ride it all day long, just like he did two-wheelers back in the day. (He and my dad used to go off on week-long tours of the western US when I was a kid--it wasn't unusual for them to go to the Grand Canyon then out to and the coast, then back through Utah and up Pike's Peak before heading home.)

ETA: My understanding is that the "reverse trikes" also don't require the motorcycle endorsement on your license. They changed the law about 25 years ago, so if you didn't have the endorsement prior to the change, you have to take a test to get it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know nothing about the newer bikes but my son just bought these two.
One for road and one for offroad.

Don't ask me whyyyyyyy, ♫ cause he don't knooooooow. ♫

1654968534412.png

1654968512299.png

1654968604709.png

He told me which was which but I can't remember.

:hithead::tounge2:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah in the grand scheme motorcycles are going be "more reliable" than just about any other auto (car, truck, suv, van) just due to having a significantly less complex machinery, number of parts, wiring, etc. etc. there's just less stuff to break and when it does you can usually see it and notice it immediately. far easier to perform checks, i mean realistically how often do we inspect our car brakes? i look at my bike's rotors EVERY time i get on, why not?

most guys crap on harleys out of brand hate and haven't ever ridden one. i haven't; i got no hate i just accept it isn't my style. i've always been a japanese import guy when it comes to things that spin and rev.

and i have no idea how some of you old timers even ride those boobers man. you guys are sitting lower than me in my miata; i swear i'm almost as high on my ninja as i am in my '92 cheyenne truck. if you don't tuck, you are sitting pretty high on a "crotch rocket", it's like riding a short horse.

i had a former gf who a photographer at rot rally. she had some pictures.... LOL

i take old timers riding bobbers to old guys riding recumbent bicycles. easier to get up on than a tall road bike, but once you're down there you aren't seeing much so hopefully nothing gets in front of you lol. one you turn, you don't have much distance to "lean" compared to a high up road bike. you need wide open road.
My Sportster is a Roadster model - probably the tallest Harley you'll find. I'm 6'-5", and it's height is what drew me to it. I don't ride the big two wheeled Winnebegos (that includes Goldwings, etc.), and I've owned 3 Suzukis, so I'm not married to HD. I'd love to have a Triumph or a Guzzi, too. The little Sportster just feels like a "pure motorcycle", if that makes any sense, compared to some of the bigger bikes. Just handles well, good power, and just a fun bike.

Agree, though, if a guy is just starting out, grab a Ninja 250 or something along those lines. And for God's sake - be careful. I don't ride in Tulsa unless I absolutely have to, and discourage my kids from it as well. If it's not the piss-poor drivers, it's the scattered sh*t all over the roads from trucks dropping stuff and not giving a damn. Pallets to ladders to 4x4 blocks. Avoid the bigger cities like the plague.

Oh - and DAMN, man - I'm not that old!

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy street bikes, but city riding is a death wish, due to stupid other drivers not paying attention. Pleasure riding great, commuting on one to save a buck is not recommended these days.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And for God's sake - be careful. I don't ride in Tulsa unless I absolutely have to, and discourage my kids from it as well. If it's not the piss-poor drivers, it's the scattered sh*t all over the roads from trucks dropping stuff and not giving a damn. Pallets to ladders to 4x4 blocks. Avoid the bigger cities like the plague.
No kidding. Between the "Tulsa green" red light runners, the drivers who are absolutely gobsmacked to discover an actual highway at the end of an on-ramp, and the Surprise Construction of the Day, there are days that I hate going out in Tulsa traffic in my truck.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had everything from a 5hp home made minibike to a Triumph Rocket III Touring, the largest production bike on the market (140 c.i.) Right now I have a Honda Goldwing. You are wanting a bike for commuting. I don't know your comfort level for a larger size bike being your first. Do you need lots of storage to carry stuff? Air cooled bikes like Harleys or Indians are hot as hell to ride in city traffic. All the engine heat envelopes you when sitting in traffic. The Goldwing has a cleaver way to keep the heat off of you. It is water cooled with the radiators located in the sides of the fairing blowing the heat away from you.

There was a guy here the forum selling a older model Goldwing last month.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/...miles-6-000-with-trailer.334280/#post-3782681Heck of a deal and well under your budget. You could probably get most of your investment back if you decided to trade it later for something different if it didn't suit you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom