Considering a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you just want a bike, i understand.

But trade in that truck and get a used Corolla with ~100k miles on it and 10 years old for same price.

better mileage, and far, far safer. Hear stories from folks who work in medicine about the dangers of riding a bike and some of the things they've seen and decided against it personally. 90% of folks who own trucks don't even need them anyway, since they don't live rurally or have a job that requires it. for the other 1% of the times you need a truck, you can always rent. unless you just want a bike, then good luck. personally spend 40 bux to fill my tank. Truck is 2 or 3 times that. Car is bigger bang for buck. you can drive it when the weather is ****, too. instead of just the few months a year it is comfortable. as a bonus you'll survive a collision.

motorcycles are fun toys but are impractical as daily drivers. imo

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Sportster is a Roadster model - probably the tallest Harley you'll find. I'm 6'-5", and it's height is what drew me to it. I don't ride the big two wheeled Winnebegos (that includes Goldwings, etc.), and I've owned 3 Suzukis, so I'm not married to HD. I'd love to have a Triumph or a Guzzi, too. The little Sportster just feels like a "pure motorcycle", if that makes any sense, compared to some of the bigger bikes. Just handles well, good power, and just a fun bike.

Agree, though, if a guy is just starting out, grab a Ninja 250 or something along those lines. And for God's sake - be careful. I don't ride in Tulsa unless I absolutely have to, and discourage my kids from it as well. If it's not the piss-poor drivers, it's the scattered sh*t all over the roads from trucks dropping stuff and not giving a damn. Pallets to ladders to 4x4 blocks. Avoid the bigger cities like the plague.

Oh - and DAMN, man - I'm not that old!
I’ve owned various bikes over the years. At the moment I still have two Harleys. A fat boy and a Road King. My sis has had at least four or five sportsters. 883s and 1200s. Those 883s get some insanely good gas mileage but are not very peppy. The 1200s are definitely more spunky but then the mpg is down some. I’m 6’1” and when you said you’re 6’5” on one I can understand the joke.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• 50C34603-8E86-43A4-B662-347A383E945B.jpeg
    50C34603-8E86-43A4-B662-347A383E945B.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 0

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
If you're not looking for a street bike then why would you consider an Indian or Harley; they're both street bikes.
The adventure style bikes are very popular and saw many on my recent trip to CO.
He said Crotch Rocket, not street bike.

I am not looking for a crotch rocket...

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up on dirt bikes as a child. Got into street bikes as soon as I was old enough to have a license (my parents were insane). I completely agree with the replies here saying that motorcycles are great for casual pleasure riding, but NOT as a daily work commuter. It’s just too dangerous. Unless you have a specific safe route you can take, or live in a small town. I feel like the roadways are far more dangerous now than they were 10 years ago. Largely due to all of the distracted driving.

I don’t have a bike at the moment. But whenever I do have them I only pleasure ride, avoid traffic, mainly rural back highways and such.

I was into the “crotch rockets” (I prefer the term “sport bike”). Bought and sold a bunch of them over the years. My favorite was a 2007 ninja ZX10r. Absolutely insanely fast! 3rd gear at 100mph and it could still pull up a wheelie! I often thank God I survived my 20s haha

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll throw my two cents in and recommend a Moto Guzzi V7. They're a twin-cylinder bike that isn't a crotch rocket, isn't a cruiser, isn't a big touring barge or adventure bike, it's one of the relatively few "standard" motorcycles still in production. Comfortable ergonomics, small enough to learn on, but not so small that you'll outgrow it anytime soon. They have a driveshaft, so no chain/belt maintenance. I haven't owned one, but I've owned several other Guzzis that have all been good bikes. The people I know that do have these really seem to like 'em. There's a dealer in Tulsa, so parts and service shouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

• 2022 v7 special.jpg
    2022 v7 special.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to ride a lot. To work and long 800-900mile a day trips. The advent of cell phone distracted drivers means I’ll never ride on road again.

Those are killer. I rode from my son's home in Killeen, TX to my home in Bailey, CO in one day...something like 18 or 19 hours, maybe longer. It was in 2008 so it's been a while. 988 miles. I pulled up to a stoplight in Woodland Park, CO and damn near dropped the bike (a HD Ultra) because I couldn't move my legs to put my foot down. I quickly decided that was a really stupid thing to do for a lot of reasons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom