Considering a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had several bikes in the past. Also rode dirt bikes. I won't ride anymore in the street, I'm too old. They are a lot of fun.
Good luck if you buy one and just be careful!!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thing you should do is go take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class.
My son took a course put on by OSU in OKC when he was 16.
Many people there who never rode a motorcycle.

A 45ish couple bought 2 new Harley motorcycles. of course you train on their small 125cc then.
I think it was 125cc.
Anyway the wife did not pass.
One big burly dude in his mid 20's followed directions too well in the slow course.
Slow as you can go between cones and the instructor said keep your feet on the pegs do not put your foot down.
Well big dude was tipping over and did not put a foot down and tipped the bike over on himself.

He failed.
I was there for the "graduation ceremony" and my son got the highest grade in the class.
Proud dad.

But he rode a 50cc scooter off road and a go cart I built and 2 very dangerous mini bikes I built.
I had adults ride those 5HP Briggs I built and some only rode 1 time and had one guy go 100 yards and get off and push it back to me and told his son he did not get to ride it ever!

My wife learned to ride in a field and it was a 400 Yamaha street bike.
That was her first vehicle.

Mine was a TC 90 suzuki I paid $7.50 for it and 3 basket case bikes.
Got the TC running and busted some ribs and learned how to fall.

Friend had Hodaka's and we went fast off road and had a course set up.
wrecked often running the course and rule was get to the bike before it dies and get back on and finish out.

Fun times.

Another rule we had was if someone gets hurt you must laugh at them because that crash had to be funny.
We will get you to the hospital if you need it but we will be laughing on the way.
Simple rule.
Not many went riding with us more than 1 time.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I married into a Yamaha Virago 750 and commuted 30 miles to work for a whole year in Kansas. Shaft drive monoshocker and was glorious to ride. It started every time I hit the button and was a go gittin SOB. I got a $200 full face helmet with air openings which were necessary to keep my brain bucket from overheating. I highly recommend leathers and boots, not shorts and flip flops like other idiots I saw out there.

I'm sure glad the state trooper got me going into the curve not before. :bolt:

Snow was a bich but ice was a nogo. Rain was millions of bee stings. I finally got a mini faring which cut down about 90% of the bee stings but the wasp that throated me was the last straw. Them suckers can sting over and over and over and over and ...

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son took a course put on by OSU in OKC when he was 16.
Many people there who never rode a motorcycle.

A 45ish couple bought 2 new Harley motorcycles. of course you train on their small 125cc then.
I think it was 125cc.
Anyway the wife did not pass.
One big burly dude in his mid 20's followed directions too well in the slow course.
Slow as you can go between cones and the instructor said keep your feet on the pegs do not put your foot down.
Well big dude was tipping over and did not put a foot down and tipped the bike over on himself.

He failed.
I was there for the "graduation ceremony" and my son got the highest grade in the class.
Proud dad.

But he rode a 50cc scooter off road and a go cart I built and 2 very dangerous mini bikes I built.
I had adults ride those 5HP Briggs I built and some only rode 1 time and had one guy go 100 yards and get off and push it back to me and told his son he did not get to ride it ever!

My wife learned to ride in a field and it was a 400 Yamaha street bike.
That was her first vehicle.

Mine was a TC 90 suzuki I paid $7.50 for it and 3 basket case bikes.
Got the TC running and busted some ribs and learned how to fall.

Friend had Hodaka's and we went fast off road and had a course set up.
wrecked often running the course and rule was get to the bike before it dies and get back on and finish out.

Fun times.

Another rule we had was if someone gets hurt you must laugh at them because that crash had to be funny.
We will get you to the hospital if you need it but we will be laughing on the way.
Simple rule.
Not many went riding with us more than 1 time.
I had a friend that had Hodakas. His Wombat was the absolute funnest bike I have ridden. You could do anything and go anywhere on that thing, tip over, get back on and ride the crap out of it, which we did.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really, really appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I will absolutely take the safety course since I don't have a motorcycle endorsement on my license.

When I say I'm a newbie, what I mean is that in my lifetime (40 years old) I would guess I've spent a total of an hour on a motorcycle or dirt bike. I wanted to get into bikes a long time ago but after seeing a friend wreck during a race, it took a long time for that image to fade enough to consider getting one.

I wasn't expecting the response or the numerous texts from you guys, I appreciate the help and experience!

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy some good leathers.If you ride for very long you will most likely have to lay your bike down a few times because of people pulling out in front of you.In 100 degree weather it isn't much fun either.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are killer. I rode from my son's home in Killeen, TX to my home in Bailey, CO in one day...something like 18 or 19 hours, maybe longer. It was in 2008 so it's been a while. 988 miles. I pulled up to a stoplight in Woodland Park, CO and damn near dropped the bike (a HD Ultra) because I couldn't move my legs to put my foot down. I quickly decided that was a really stupid thing to do for a lot of reasons.
Yeah, for a brief window of a couple years I was addicted to long hauls. I had a good long distance bike though. Had a 1200+mile day once on my kaw concours

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I live about 8 miles from my office, do a lot of around-town driving, and am sick of filling the tank in my truck. I've never had a motorcycle but I think I have my wife on board with me buying my first bike.

So, I'm hoping some of you more experienced guys might be able to give some advice as to where I should start and what I should be looking for.

I am not looking for a crotch rocket... As far as looks go I really like the looks of the Indian Scout and most Harleys. Is it unseasonable to budget $8000?

I feel like an idiot with this stuff. Guns, guitars, mountain bikes, knives, that's what I know; bikes are completely foreign to me!
Take a motorcycle riding course from someone that provides the bikes. The problem isn’t learning how to ride it’s how to avoid the idiots out there trying to kill you. A LOT of people buy a big Harley and don’t know how to emergency brake, swerve, or react in an emergency. Most of them ride a few miles a year and spend the rest of the time watching Sons of Anarchy. Don’t be that guy…….. On nice riding days you almost always hear of a fatality motorcycle accident. Ride safe if you do get one. I rode over 150k miles between 2011 and 2018 with one accident where I was very fortunate not to be injured. I had a bunch of close calls. I still would like to have one but resist the temptation so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom