Considering a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter479

Marksman
Reaction score
Take a motorcycle riding course from someone that provides the bikes. The problem isn’t learning how to ride it’s how to avoid the idiots out there trying to kill you. A LOT of people buy a big Harley and don’t know how to emergency brake, swerve, or react in an emergency. Most of them ride a few miles a year and spend the rest of the time watching Sons of Anarchy. Don’t be that guy…….. On nice riding days you almost always hear of a fatality motorcycle accident. Ride safe if you do get one. I rode over 150k miles between 2011 and 2018 with one accident where I was very fortunate not to be injured. I had a bunch of close calls. I still would like to have one but resist the temptation so far.
Great advi
Take a motorcycle riding course from someone that provides the bikes. The problem isn’t learning how to ride it’s how to avoid the idiots out there trying to kill you. A LOT of people buy a big Harley and don’t know how to emergency brake, swerve, or react in an emergency. Most of them ride a few miles a year and spend the rest of the time watching Sons of Anarchy. Don’t be that guy…….. On nice riding days you almost always hear of a fatality motorcycle accident. Ride safe if you do get one. I rode over 150k miles between 2011 and 2018 with one accident where I was very fortunate not to be injured. I had a bunch of close calls. I still would like to have one but resist the temptation so

Scooter479

Marksman
Reaction score
Take a motorcycle riding course from someone that provides the bikes. The problem isn’t learning how to ride it’s how to avoid the idiots out there trying to kill you. A LOT of people buy a big Harley and don’t know how to emergency brake, swerve, or react in an emergency. Most of them ride a few miles a year and spend the rest of the time watching Sons of Anarchy. Don’t be that guy…….. On nice riding days you almost always hear of a fatality motorcycle accident. Ride safe if you do get one. I rode over 150k miles between 2011 and 2018 with one accident where I was very fortunate not to be injured. I had a bunch of close calls. I still would like to have one but resist the temptation so far.
Great advice, I’m a Law Enforcement Trainer (Ret) learning proper breaking is a Life Saver.
Ride Safe.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I ended up buying a bike from another member. It will sit pretty in the garage until I can take a safety course, but I'm excited for my first bike.

I ended up going with a Harley Sportster 1200.
That's the bike my big kid had for about a year. Got about 50 MPG. Small peanut gas tank so watch that limited range. He got a waterproof backpack to tote things back and forth to work. Fun to ride unless in heavy wind or rain. If the Sportster still has factory exhaust consider something louder (for safety reasons). He went for replacements instead of slip-on's. You will need the whole set of clothing; leather jacket with armor, leather chaps, special boots, knuckle armor gloves and helmets. Like you will want both a half helmet (for some uses) and a full helmet with pull down internal sun visor.

He upgraded to a bigger Harley a few months ago. Cooler you see!

Last edited:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Harley shops usually provide a free 2 day hands on school to new riders. Take full advantage. Often local law enforcement will offer free training through their department's motor unit; get that too. Riding a bike safely is a seriously high skilled and crash avoidance minded adventure.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
taking a MSF training 1-day course will suffice for the riding portion of the motorcycle endorsement that you need for your driver's license. That way you only have to take the written portion of the test for the state. Plus you will learn a lot of the avoidance techniques mentioned in earlier posts

Ak12161

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't really read any other comments but I find this hilarious because I'm literally doing the same damn thing 😂. So let me save you 18 hours of research and calls.

Harley Davidson. Yes you can get a decent bike for under 10k. It's very easy to find one. Just. Check out their inventory online or call fort thunder. Awesome dudes. Now Harleys depreciate in value like everything else so buy used on your first one. It's easy to find a used good looking Harley under 10k at the dealership.

Indian scout: I wanted one bad... I mean the scout bobber in the satin black is like 🫠 to me. Unfortunately they're about 2 months out. Now you can order one... No upcharge, but depending on color you won't have the bike until...🤔July to August is what the sales kid told me when I called on Tuesday June 14th.

Eurotek: check this dealership out for some variation. They've got some bad ass bikes and some of them actually hit your budget area. They've got a nice 2019 sv I believe still there. Super nice looking in person. Awesome dudes.

Good luck on your search my friend. I have to linger for a minute due to the wife's order. (2 weeks) 😒... But oh well I'll have one again soon enough.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started on Harleys and have always had one since. But for a beginner and more capable I’d stick with a small cc adventure/enduro, you will get more bang for your buck.
KTM makes a great 390, I have a Husky and it’s basically the same. If you can find one get the husky 401 if you can’t yamaha and Kawasaki both make good bikes that are comparable. I get 65mpg on my little husky and 50 on my bigger Harley’s

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Indian is owned by Polaris, the only reason I didn’t buy a FTR is the resale is not good at all on Indians, but you can say that with about any bike now. Harley flooded the market a few years ago and since you buy a new bike the second you leave the price drops at least 1k on most every bike. Harleys resale used to be great, buy one for 15 ride it a few years and still get 15. Now you buy 28k bike and it’s worth 24 the next day..

Latest posts

Top Bottom