Constitutional carry passes the Oklahoma house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we need to return to 50 years ago where firearm safety was taught in schools and shooting competitions were normal. That way training starts early and there is no training requirement. I have taught my kids to respect firearms, and keep pounding the basic safety rules into their heads. They each have a BB gun and they MUST treat it as if they were a real firearm. Even the most minor infraction of the basic safety rules results in harsh (to them) penalties. You want to punish a child? Make them take a time out and watch while their brother/sister are still having fun.... Repeat offense? Lose the BB gun for the rest of the day. So far, each of them has only had to sit out the entire day 1 time over the last 2 years. They have learned there is no forgiveness in the consequences of breaking or ignoring the basic safety rules, just as there is no forgiveness in the possible consequences of a negligent discharge with a real firearm.

I have shown them several times what a 12G slug can do to milk jugs, fruit, melons, and 2 liter sodas. We have also let them shoot the .22s and even a little 25acp pistol we have. If you sate the curiosity, demonstrate what a firearm can do, AND (very important,) give them instruction on how to safely handle one, it makes everyone safer. My children know they are not toys and do not treat them as such.

Perhaps we should follow the example of our President in this regard. I can envision Barack Obama Skeet shooting teams in public schools across the country LOL

But to be serious your idea has merit. However first we have to get back to making it possible to carry a swiss army knife. Baby steps.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If something's a "right" that means one should be able to exercise that right without asking for permission or prior approval. Period.

If one acts irresponsibly they should expect to be held responsible for the consequences of their action. This includes irresponsibly exercising a right.

Many, many people do not seem to understand that each of these stand alone, completely separate and distinct from each other.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should elaborate that the extent we take it to "treat it like a real firearm" for the children and their BB guns is very serious. Even we as adults treat them as if they were a .22. They have their own mini-range and must call out for an all clear before they go down range to inspect their targets. They DO NOT shot at anything not "approved for the range", they cannot leave them lying around or on the ground, the safety is always on when not being actively shot, they are wiped down before putting them away and they each have a small "rifle case/sleeve" that they are stored in. We have found this to be the best way to give them actual experience at applying the safety rules and proper care, while keeping actual risk to a minimum. And they all know if anyone should ever get hit by a negligent discharge that the punishment is bad enough that they don't want to find out what it is....

I am very proud of my children. Ask any one of them what the first safety on a firearm is. Every one will tell you it is the person holding the firearm.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ronnie - So how do you propose we know who has been trained to be safe and who hasn't?
You want people to be responsible for your safety, but who or what requires you to be responsible for theirs?
Wouldn't that be up to you?
And if they get trained should they wear a tag on their shirt or coat so we all know that they are good-to-go?
Kind of defeats the concealed part there hombre.

Seen any bad guys training records?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should elaborate that the extent we take it to "treat it like a real firearm" for the children and their BB guns is very serious. Even we as adults treat them as if they were a .22. They have their own mini-range and must call out for an all clear before they go down range to inspect their targets. They DO NOT shot at anything not "approved for the range", they cannot leave them lying around or on the ground, the safety is always on when not being actively shot, they are wiped down before putting them away and they each have a small "rifle case/sleeve" that they are stored in. We have found this to be the best way to give them actual experience at applying the safety rules and proper care, while keeping actual risk to a minimum. And they all know if anyone should ever get hit by a negligent discharge that the punishment is bad enough that they don't want to find out what it is....

I am very proud of my children. Ask any one of them what the first safety on a firearm is. Every one will tell you it is the person holding the firearm.

This and your first post, are commendable. This is the way free people teach others about gun safety. It starts with their kids, and keeping it consistent like you have will result in safe kids, and later on safe adults.

As an example beyond yours, I'm working with my wife and sister about gun safety so they can get their CC license.

The hardest part is convincing them that an unloaded gun is always loaded safety wise. It was hard at first to convince about keeping the buger hook off the bang stick. Once I used that and they got a big laugh, it sunk in. keeping the MZ down range is the next step. They experience some difficulty's and the muzzle starts wandering.

People aren't born with the ability to shoot firearms and be safe with them. Its a constitutional right, and I'll defend that to the ends of the earth.
It is scary to know about some that are carrying with basically no knowledge like my wife and sister would have without some help though.
The government needs to stay out of it.
Don't have the answer to this conundrum. Torn on the need for training and the Constitutional rights we have.

Its all about repetition

Latest posts

Top Bottom