Construction/home guys... question on storm doors.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to replace our exterior glass doors. I want one with screens so we can open it up and let a breeze through without letting bugs in. Also want decent quality. Checked a few out at Lowe's today and we "sorta" decided on this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_585279-6284...0x51oZ1z0zzo7Z2z8vp__?productId=50375038&pl=1

It seemed a good bit more solid than this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_25066-78360-37082031_1z0x003Z1z0x51oZ1z0zzo7Z2z8vp__?productId=3041404&pl=1

Also had the dual shocks, a better closure for the sliding glass, etc. Seemed fairly straightforward, I think I oughtta be able to put it in myself. Just wanted to know if any of you guys here had warnings against this particular brand/type of door, or if there is a better option at HD or some other place, etc. Looking online I wouldn't have been able to see the differences in going to the store and actually handling them, seeing how they closed, how they felt, solidity, key lock with dead bolt-style lock, etc.

Not finding better deals on this model online - shipping is crazy high.

So... should I stay away from this brand or no?

This one is the 32" for the back door - looking at this one for the front if the first works out well:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_585256-6284...0x51oZ1z0zzo7Z2z8vp__?productId=50375006&pl=1

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just installed one a month ago. It was a glass only, security door. Was fairly simple, although it does help to have an extra set of hands to help hold the door when installing screws. It also helps to have a set of punches to mark holes and a chisel to remove the excess wood from the frame, although you can get by without them.

Just make sure everything is square when you start. My home door was installed unevenly, which me the security door not square. I had to lower one side 1/4 to make it sit evenly.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've installed several and even with new houses there usually is not a quick and easy install. You have to be able to rip a piece of wood or shim out something to get it to work but it usually is not THAT hard.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just installed two at our house. The same model as the one in your first link.
I had to do a little chiseling, and add a strip of wood, but we sure like it. Good seal.
As has been said, it sure helps to have an extra hand.
It says "easy one hour instal".
Lol, maybe for somebody that installs them daily in a perfectly prepared door frame.
But I'm a perfectionist on things like doors.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lowes sells a Pella door that you buy the glass, door, and handle separately. Those are easy as pie to install, if the wood strips are up I can do those in about 35-45 minutes.

I had to start with door frames that weren't square, taking about half the frame out and putting it on the table saw to get the danged thing where the glass door would fit. We had a snake get under the seal on the last door, getting into the house because it didn't fit right, so the wife was pretty adamant that this door be properly sealed so that would never happen again.

Also getting ready to replace all of the doors in the house that has all the pretty glass in the doors that somebody could bust to reach inside and unlock the door with some steel doors. We are going with all digital door locks as well.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had the Pella hidden screen doors in our previous house. They were the kind that the screen rolls down from the top when you lower the top half of the glass. Other than the 1/2" wide metal strip across the center of the door you have a full view glass door. In our current home we decided to get the same type but they're made by Larsen and we like them better than Pellas version. Paid the contractor $100 for each install and it was money well spent.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I'm talkin' bout... you like the Larson over the Pella. So did I when I checked them both, much less selection on the Pella to evaluate tho - maybe by Lowes' design??? Anyways...

Just wanted to make certain there weren't a buncha people with bad experiences before I dropped a few hundred on one.

Many thanks to all.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also liked the larson over the pella, the fact that they make them universal for left and right open makes them much harder to put in. If you can find one that is just left or right open only in the box it would be much easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom