cool old hunting pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that in Oklahoma by chance..?

It was around Cedar Vale Ks. I'll have to call my sis about the date. When she talked to the lady on the left with the rabbit, she was in her late 90's.
My sis and mom, travel all over the place getting pics of headstones, and talking to people about the family lineage.
No body famous in the line. Just common folks like us.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this board has been an excellent teacher's manual.

Believe me, I've learned a ton of information from this board. More than you can imagine.
There are folks on here that have spent their lives hunting and fishing.
That being said, hunting and fishing in one area of this great state, is different from the other parts of the state.
The diversity of information is what impresses me the most about this forum.
Welcome again, and hope you stick around and become part of the community.:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, the way I hunt the Panhandle ain't gonna cut in the south east.

Exactly.
This is the main reason I put in for the controlled hunts.
Its a challenge to a deer hunter to go into an area without any information, and attempt to be sucessful. If one is, they should feel better about themselves as a hunter.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are we going to try to fix the fail? Yes, these are pictures of pictures, not scanned. Meh.

My grandpa, Oklahoma circa 1959. Buck was the talk of the local hunters for years, unheard of at the time. Beginners luck buck, his first time out. He only got a couple more in his life, and often went years without seeing a deer. They'd take a thermos of coffee, a sandwich and some cigarettes and go sit against a tree all day until they killed a buck. He was pouring his first cup of coffee on his first day deer hunting when this buck came through, the story goes. :D The guys that took him gave him hell over getting a buck like that his first time, it was rare to even see a deer...much less kill one. A buck of that size was newsworthy.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_003_1.jpg

My grandma's uncle (I think), with his hounds, mount and gun (looks like a Browning A-5 maybe???), Arkansas circa early 1940's. She said his house was full of taxidermy, he was know for having some of the best hounds around. Apparently they were pretty wealthy by hill folk standards. My grandma got a camera for her birthday, and he wanted a picture of him with his hounds.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_002_1.jpg

Leggett71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great Pics see if I can dig some up from Louisiana over Christmas to add. Hunting back then was a matter of survival not sport as we know it. Lot of areas during the depression had most of the game wiped out. Wildlife & conservayion groups have really given us what enjoy today. Know they trapped a lot of deer up north and rebuilt the population on Louisiana when I was growing up.
Keep up the postings.

Leggett71

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Are we going to try to fix the fail?

working on it RH. i'm just to 'puter stoopid.

i mailed the file to flatwins to see if he can get it up. he trashes computers for a living.

Latest posts

Top Bottom