Copperheads!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out with some friends this evening to a local WMA in between Fayetteville and Siloam Springs, AR that I just now found out existed. We were wanting to fish from the bank of the Illinois and then have a little camp fire. After driving out to the middle of nowhere, the fishing wasn't happening. Brush was still to thick to even get to the water. But one guy stepped and straddled a two foot long copperhead. He backed off and I gave it a healthy dose of .22 snake shot. Ended his reign of terror.

Being bored, and adventurous, we ate it. The guy that almost got bit kept the skin. I won't say that the meat was good, but with some kind of seasoning it had potential. Now my curiosity is satisfied.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I eat every rattlesnake I kill. I take the meat and run it through a small hand grinder. Mix in some cajun seasoning. Roll the ground meat into balls. Roll in peppered flour and deep fry. I save it for when we have guests. Put them out with toothpicks for h'orderves and just tell the guests they are "Rattlesnake Balls". People that normally would not touch it usually think it is a joke and eat them. But when they learn it really is rattlesnake they have already been bitten and usually go back for another.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a few run-ins with copperheads at the cabin when I was younger. One took a snap at me when I was running up to see the target after a blackpowder season (when we unload it's always a competition), I must have jumped about 10' high when I saw it. Also killed a couple of them that were mating during turkey season. Don't care for those snakes much, but never have eaten them...

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My avatar is a picture of a snapping turtle I caught while jug fishing. I definitely want to be more prepared in the seasoning department next time, because the meat on the snake did have some potential.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We get those darned things at the house on a pretty regular basis. Some of the benefits of living in the country.
We have had two dogs bitten, with one coming out ok and the other eventually dieing from seizures that was brought on by the bite a year later.
Most of them have been given to a freind that makes self bows. He uses the skins as camo on the bows. Very beautiful.
Never ate copperhead, but have had rattlesnake a couple of times. Pretty tasty. it was fried like fish with a flour and cornmeal coating.
Here are some pics of one we saw in the backyard.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00601.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00603.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom