Could you please just back the hell up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been good at keeping a cool head but lately am having some troubles at work. My manager is very, well, different/ignorant. I can somewhat deal with that but goodness, no matter where I am, this guy is seriously inches away from me. I have never had somebody continuously stand so damn close. If I told him to back up he would treat me as if I was talking down to him and it would be a huge ordeal (he's a very drama oriented person). I am a firm believer in personal space but have never really had anyone do this to me before. Might not sound like a big deal but it is definitely awkward. Anyone else have some close quarter standers around? Should I just headbutt him so he gets the point.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai395.photobucket.com_albums_pp38_albanostables_headbutt.gif

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't tell him to back up or off. Try explaining that his proximity is making you uncomfortable...you feel that he's violating your "bubble".

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe it or not this is a BIG deal to lots of women. Guys in authority positions sometimes seem to feel like "your space" is "their space" if you get my drift ...

Lean into him ... put your hand on his arm. Do it every single time he even so much as looks like he is gonna get close to you. Make him feel uncomfortable. More than likely he will never comment on it ... he will just start to be a bit "stand-offish" with you. (And if he does comment feign ignorance and act offended that he would think such things of you.)

OK ... well it might not work that well guy-to-guy but it has worked for me everytime I have felt the need to "implement training", so to speak. Because coming out and speaking my mind has never worked well for me in a work environment ... so I just went to clandestine activities ... lol

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I new a guy that would always get up in my face to talk. He was like two levels above me at work, so it was like you didn't want to piss him off. He was always pleasant and it didn't seem like an intimidation thing, but maybe it was some sort of "power" position, I don't know. Anyway, it made me very uncomfortable. I'm a guy who values his space too - you stay over there and I'll stay over here!

I don't work there anymore, so problem solved, but a boss that was constantly "there" would bug me to death! "Back up and give me some space!"

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've worked with a few middle-easterners, mostly from Israel and Iraq. Culturally, they maintain a much smaller personal space. I became the queen of the clipboard and very adept defining my space with it. Office furniture works well too, although it began to look like a bad comedy skit as we circled desks and chairs. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom