Covid Numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just curious, how are we supposed to keep foreign investors from buying US companies? Or stock or a controlling interest in? I'm just curious, not being argumentative?
If the company/corporation has a business that would have an effect on our National Security, the Congress can raise a flag and potentially stop the acquisition.

Short of 'nationalizing' industries the way places like Venezuela has done in the past, I'm not sure of a good way to prevent it, when you have publicly traded stock and such.

The CFIUS process was amended again by the Foreign Investment and National Security Act of 2007 (FINSA), which passed in the wake of the Dubai Ports World scandal. In March 2006, amid a flurry of U.S. political opposition, the Dubai-based, state-owned firm scuttled its bid to acquire control of major U.S. port operations. Many in Congress said that the controversial deal would increase the risk of a terrorist attack on the United States. President George W. Bush and CFIUS had previously approved the transaction. FINSA provided Congress greater oversight of CFIUS, expanded the legal meaning of “national security” to include critical infrastructure, and required CFIUS to investigate all foreign investment deals in which the overseas entity is owned or controlled by a foreign power.
https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/foreign-investment-and-us-national-security

Ask obama and hillary when they sold off 20% of our uranium to Moscow in the Uranium 1 deal.
Before the Obama administration approved a controversial deal in 2010 giving Moscow control of a large swath of American uranium, the FBI had gathered substantial evidence that Russian nuclear industry officials were engaged in bribery, kickbacks, extortion and money laundering designed to grow Vladimir Putin’s atomic energy business inside the United States, according to government documents and interviews.

Federal agents used a confidential U.S. witness working inside the Russian nuclear industry to gather extensive financial records, make secret recordings and intercept emails as early as 2009 that showed Moscow had compromised an American uranium trucking firm with bribes and kickbacks in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, FBI and court documents show.

They also obtained an eyewitness account — backed by documents — indicating Russian nuclear officials had routed millions of dollars to the U.S. designed to benefit former President Bill Clinton’s charitable foundation during the time Secretary of State Hillary Clinton served on a government body that provided a favorable decision to Moscow, sources told The Hill.

The racketeering scheme was conducted “with the consent of higher level officials” in Russia who “shared the proceeds” from the kickbacks, one agent declared in an affidavit years later.
https://thehill.com/policy/national...sian-bribery-plot-before-obama-administration

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just curious, how are we supposed to keep foreign investors from buying US companies? Or stock or a controlling interest in? I'm just curious, not being argumentative?

Short of 'nationalizing' industries the way places like Venezuela has done in the past, I'm not sure of a good way to prevent it, when you have publicly traded stock and such.

I don't know about stock ownership but some countries have strict requirements on foreign investment in real property.
IIRC, New Zealand threatened to revoke (if that's the right word) property ownership in their country by NBC news "celebrity" Matt Lauer after allegations of sexual harassment, etc, were made against him.
Apparently New Zealand law allows their government to to do this, in an effort to keep out undesirable people.
But I think they decided not to go through with whatever their process is, against Matt Lauer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom