Cows on my property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. Looking for some advise. I have someone else’s cows jumping and breaking my fences on my property and grazing. I chase them off and they just come back. I have been fixing the fence line for the last 1 and 1/2 years and am tired of it. Can’t find an owner. They graze on the west side of my property, but keep coming through the fence and breaking it down. No house on the property, just some vertical tanks of some sort. Don’t know who the cows belong to. About to put some beef in the freezer.
advice

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it is always best to be a good fence neighbor. it is understood that as you stand on your property the fence half to your right is yours and so for the neighbor. if you choose the above and say not my cattle not my fence that is your right but the neighbor can tell you that you can't run livestock or anything against the fence forcing you to buy in or double fence. i suggest that you introduce yourself and politely share your grievance with your neighbor. if the fence needs replaced be prepared to pay for half.
I agree good neighbors are best . I've never had a problem helping to build fence or repairing them. Even on the place I own now and run no livestock. To tell the truth I don't mind the cattle coming on my place to a point it actually helps the wildlife. main problem I have is when they get in pond. Never did like to water cattle in a pond

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! Amazing thread here with so much info. Came on the forum to start a different thread. BUT this changed my perspective and made my issue seem so trivial. I am OLD but can still learn. Will NOT Post that thread about children might be on my lawn. Not today...
You afraid they might be loaded up and taken to the sale barn?

Wheelgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’ve been running them out and fixing the fence the owner may have never known they were out.
I’d find out how owns them and politely let them know what’s going on…

Around here it’s known/common knowledge that, from the center of fence line, everything to the right is yours to maintain and same for the neighbor. Also if a new fence is needed that the cost is split 50/50, livestock present or not… Additionally, if it’s being rented, the landlord should supply material or labor to have it fixed.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let the neighbor and the sheriff know the cows are getting out and have free access to the road from your property as you have no fence. You possibly have no legal obligation to control the cattle BUT if they walked off your property and someone hits them and is injured or dies the lawyers will be contacting you and trying to find a way to lay blame. They tried this on me from a property I had sold about four years prior. Someone in the sheriffs office told the lawyers I used to have cattle there of a similar type.

Four strand tall like you describe will not keep in babies and will fall apart when pushed. Possibly look through the law on how to go about having the property owner refence the area. They may not need all new posts but it sounds like wire is toasty. We either have seven strands or mesh for most of our runs. Older wire for the most part but yes, cows know where they belong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom