Cows on my property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I just looked at the satellite images on google maps. You said you didn’t know who the cattle belonged too. I’m 99 percent sure I can tell you the house that belongs to the property they are on. They are running on several several hundred acres that’s populated with several tank batteries. I followed the cattle trails and open gates to the hay lots, corrals, tractors and house. Those are couple nice tractors you have too. Lol. Pull up your google map and set it to satellite. Handiest daggum tool ever for figuring country out.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks who have cows and completely ignore the upkeep on the land they graze them on annoy the heck out of me. Just as bad as those who keep way too many cattle on a place.

Clearing and cleaning fence rows is the first thing my brother does on a place he buys. Immediately followed by putting up a new fence if needed. Especially those along highways and county roads. Last thing he wants to deal with is a cow getting hit and hurting someone.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma is not a free-range state
The owner of the cattle has the duty to keep their animals on their property.

Through some means, contact the owner of the animals, and tell them to come get them and explain how long the issue has been going on.

Cattle are valuable, and it is unlikely they will want to part with them.
If you don't have animals to keep in, you have no obligation to participate in the repair of the fence. Its neighborly to do so, but not required.

Also, report it to the sheriff. This establishes a record that the animals were getting out and that the owner was notified. Once that happens the burden to keep up the fence has legal teeth, should the animals cause a mishap off the owner's property.

If the owner is less than cooperative about it, remember, you have no obligation to prevent them from leaving your property either. They are not your animals, so if they go for a long walk, it's not your problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom