Cox Home Security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSPANIER

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a local company quote my 2GIG smart system. They said they needed a 3 year contract to recoup the cost of the equipment they were giving me such a great deal on. I found the equipment online for 1/3 the cost. I installed home theater in college and understand installation costs but this is a healthy margin even after the installation (which is wireless). When I ask the sales guy about it he said he'd review it and get back to me. Amazingly I've heard nothing. Guys don't gut ripped! 2GIG is not rocket science. You must build essentially I line a sight Z-wave chain through your home to the devices you wish to operate. If your wanting access control you'll need professional help but you can upgrade that with the security company. Consider a separate system for cameras. Most security systems I've seen have so so camera quality. You can spend a little or a lot on a freestanding camera system with smart phone access.

You can do all of this your self, save huge money, and pay someone to monitor it!

All I've come across are capitalizing on people's ignorance of the technology.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm here. Cox security, their surveillance equipment is way overpriced and poor quality. No residence dvr. The only time the cameras record is when the alarm goes off and then only on their server. I am having them install the alarm system after the first of the year. That equipment seems good. Here is a link to a website that sells some decent video equipment. It's a ghost hunters site so don't let that throw you. Search around, they have some good IR flood lights and other stuff. I found decent sony IR cameras on there for $60 each where cox and adt wanted around $200 for a lesser camera.

http://theghosthunterstore.com/shop/category/video-equipment/?no_redirect=true

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm here. Cox security, their surveillance equipment is way overpriced and poor quality. No residence dvr. The only time the cameras record is when the alarm goes off and then only on their server. I am having them install the alarm system after the first of the year. That equipment seems good. Here is a link to a website that sells some decent video equipment. It's a ghost hunters site so don't let that throw you. Search around, they have some good IR flood lights and other stuff. I found decent sony IR cameras on there for $60 each where cox and adt wanted around $200 for a lesser camera.

http://theghosthunterstore.com/shop/category/video-equipment/?no_redirect=true

1. Sony doesn't make that camera, they only make the imager. This could mean the camera is utter crap.
2. 420 TVL is fine, but make sure whatever DVR you buy to record video supports recording at that resolution.
3. The stated IR LED distance of 30 - 40M is pure BS. Expect 10 - 20M max, and be very cautious about overexposed (hot, white blobs) in near images.
4. The 6/8/12mm fixed lenses are not ideal, and do not expect to see much detail beyond 20'. These fixed lenses are designed for wide fields of view, not far distances. This makes the IR LED claims more dubious.
5. It's not an auto-iris lens, it is an 'auto white balance' lens. This is a sign of cheapness.

In summary: it's okay for a $55 camera, but it is nothing special.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you wanted to build a box to hold the recordings, ispyconnect.com makes some good software. It's free, but has paid options. Record on motion detect, or a schedule. Very scalable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom