Coyote questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could not exterminate coyotes if you wanted to.
Scott

Thats pretty much a true statement. Back in the 50's and 60's We could drive for miles down the country roads in Osage county and they would hang coyotes from every fence post, minus their ears. You got a bounty for each set of ears.

I finally got old enough to go with my uncle, and he rode mules. We ran them at night through the pastures behind greyhounds, shooting them when the dogs cornered them. There were hundreds of carcasses on the fence posts, and guess what....there are just as many of them now as then. Maybe more.

They continue to expand their range, with reports in Central Park in NYC. Don't know how credible those reports are, but Its been on the news.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could not exterminate coyotes if you wanted to.They tried to at one point in time and it was a losing battle.If I saw one milling around my house he would be dead, not because I fear being personally attacked but because they will kill and eat anything they can catch including dogs and cats.They are legal to hunt year round so shoot away.

Scott

and this coming from a man who knows a thing or two about coyotes! I sure wish I could go to one of the seminars.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis you are correct.There was a point in history that the government tried to exterminate coyotes with every means possible including methods that are illegal today(trapping, snaring, airgunning, poisoning, placing bounties on them, and running them with dogs).Coyotes are in all 48 lower states,Canada, Mexico and Alaska. Mange seems to be the only thing that really slows them down in most areas and that only seems to be temporary at best. There are coyotes in central park as well as most major cities in the U.S. these days.Most people would be shocked at how many live in the city of Tulsa alone.

Scott

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard turkeys eat quail eggs. Therefore I hate hate turkeys too.

I read a report one time where they put quail eggs out in different areas and put camera's on them to see what was eating the eggs in the nest.
Your typical nest robbers like coons, possums, and skunks were responsible for most. Coyotes, snakes, and other small furbearers got a few of them. If I remember correctly, they did not have any taken by turkey. I'll look around tonight when I'm not at work and see if I can find that report.

Latest posts

Top Bottom