Crappie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth. I run my boat up on the bank too much while hunting to consider putting and electronics in it. I'd feel like I was chancing it too much.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth. I run my boat up on the bank too much while hunting to consider putting and electronics in it. I'd feel like I was chancing it too much.

Are you meaning that leaving the electronics unattended it might be stolen?

If so...
99% of the mounts for the electronic display/hardware unit allow the powerhead to be removed very easily. Ziptie the wires to prevent them from falling out of reach if need be. I remove mine when I am staying somewhere that I am not within handgun range of my boat. (Joking a little about that, but if I am staying in a motel, it goes inside with me.)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Between that and constantly dragging bottom to get where I'm trying to go, it'd seem like I was asking for problems. Didn't realize the head units were removable without a huge hassle though.

Do you have an aluminum boat? Do you know the thickness of the aluminum, or know the manufacturer and model so that thickness can be found out. Some thru hull transducers (designed for fiberglass) will shoot thru thinner aluminum bottoms. They lose some signal. It is just an option to keep from tearing one up.

The transom mounted transducer just barely stick below the bottom of the boat and are designed to flip up if hitting something.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have an aluminum boat? Do you know the thickness of the aluminum, or know the manufacturer and model so that thickness can be found out. Some thru hull transducers (designed for fiberglass) will shoot thru thinner aluminum bottoms. They lose some signal. It is just an option to keep from tearing one up.

The transom mounted transducer just barely stick below the bottom of the boat and are designed to flip up if hitting something.

You make a great point. I'd never considered that. It's a Tracker 1436 aluminum boat. So, .050 gauge 5052 marine aluminum alloy. I'll have to look into that option.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother uses one of the clamp on all in one unit portable type on her bass buster. Not sure on how good the resolution is but I do know she started catching more fish more consistently.

Sent via message in a bottle

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Tracker 1648 with a permanently mounted transducer outside on the stern. I mounted it an inch or two above the bottom of the boat and have never had a problem with it dragging on anything. I run it up on the bank all the time at frightening speeds.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Tracker 1648 with a permanently mounted transducer outside on the stern. I mounted it an inch or two above the bottom of the boat and have never had a problem with it dragging on anything. I run it up on the bank all the time at frightening speeds.

Ha ha r00s7a, I think we might be in the same boat, per se.

Latest posts

Top Bottom