Credit Card Compromised

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Writing checks is s security risk as well.
Think of how many people handle that check and where the account information gets stored. Do you trust them all?
The check has your bank routing and account number and your signature.
Checks are expensive and then there's postage too if mailing a payment.
Use a credit card and pay bills using BillPay through your bank or credit union to keep your account number private.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My credit card has a chip in it. They said the cards with chips were supposed to be more secure. They aren't. Mine has been
used twice for fraudulent charges. It didn't cost me anything but it's a hassle to have to notify the merchants you charge stuff with that
you have a new number. If you don't tell Cox soon enough they try to rip you off for a late charge. Then I have to threaten to cancel
my Cox account to get them to relent on the late charge. But I wouldn't ever use a debit card. A good cc company is a must though.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My credit card has a chip in it. They said the cards with chips were supposed to be more secure. They aren't. Mine has been
used twice for fraudulent charges.

They are only more secure if the transaction uses the chip. If the transaction involves swiping the magnetic strip on the back, the chip is not involved and there is no difference than using a card without a chip.

Most of the security features involved is to protect the merchants. There are ongoing changes in credit card processing regulations to make the merchants responsible for fraudulent charges instead of the credit card companies. Upgrading their equipment and using the smart card with the secured chip transaction instead of a swiped transaction puts the risk back on the credit card companies.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are only more secure if the transaction uses the chip. If the transaction involves swiping the magnetic strip on the back, the chip is not involved and there is no difference than using a card without a chip.

Most of the security features involved is to protect the merchants. There are ongoing changes in credit card processing regulations to make the merchants responsible for fraudulent charges instead of the credit card companies. Upgrading their equipment and using the smart card with the secured chip transaction instead of a swiped transaction puts the risk back on the credit card companies.

As far as I can remember I swiped it with the chip. However some merchants aren't set up to use the chip and you have to swipe the strip.
I'm glad to hear the merchants will be responsible in the future for fraudulent charges but my credit card company has been really good
about getting rid of the charges but they said even with the chip the crooks can still get around the protection, so I guess we will just have
to live with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s the latest weapon to combat identity theft in the U.S., but according to the FBI, chip card technology is vulnerable, and a transaction security expert added that the new cards won’t do much to stop billions of dollars of credit card fraud over the next few years.

“With technology advances and the significant increase in data breaches and identity theft from computer intrusions, we continue to see significant increases in credit card theft/fraud,” a representative from the FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division Financial Crime Section told The Washington Times. “The new EMV chip cards were designed to help curtail credit card fraud; however, there are still vulnerabilities with these cards.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/15/credit-card-chip-technology-not-more-secure-than-m/

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago, our CC was compromised. CC card company called us to question the out of state charges that had been made. We didn't make the charges. They Fed-Ex two new cards overnight with new account #'s.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
only card i've had hacked was a discover card, twice, and after shopping and purchasing at the OKC cabellas. i now take cash to cabellas

No need to not use the card. I have had my discover cards number stolen multiple times. How? I have no idea, I'm thinking poor security protocol. With Discover and likely other cards, you are not liable for any fraudulent charges on the card.

The largest charges were at Sams in Tennessee and the bad guys made their own discover card with my information. When I called discover about he charges, they provided the store information and I called the store manager whom was able to pull up the video of the sale and found the sams card that the sale was made with. It was a business card based out of Chicago. I filed a police report and talked to a detective a couple times, but as far as I know, it went nowhere.

During this shopping spree, the crook filled up their vehicle at a sams gas station, bought $10,000 worth of cigarettes in 2 $5,000 purchases. Then tried to put more gas in their vehicle before the card put on hold by discover. I just happened to see the charges online the day after they were made, discover didn't contact me about them.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have used Amazon twice. And both times it resulted in my card being charged for stuff like skate board shoes, hoodies, and the last one was scooter shocks. That person even went to the trouble of having my email addy changed to theirs so i wouldnt get alerts!
I cancalled my amazon account.
Agreed. A CC is way safer than a debit card.

Latest posts

Top Bottom