CRKT knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They make a few good models. The M16 and M21 series are known for their use in the field, and they've started collaborations with folks like McGinnis and Onion which is a cool thing. But they have gotten more expensive over the years and yet still rarely use decent steels (the Sandvik steels, AUS8, and the chinese mystery steels they use are not exactly known for long edge-retention) and I find that I spend a lot more time sharpening/maintaining the edge than other knives with decent steel (when I use them in any serious capacity).

I also dislike their new Auto-LAWKS system that automatically makes the knife a pain in the ass to close (look for an older M16/M21 if you want one without the Auto-LAWKS). I also wouldn't get one of the M16 models with two carson flippers - I owned one (and they look cool), but they will tear a hole in just about any pocket - CRKT makes the edges of their jimped flippers sharper than they do their serrations :)

For the money, there are a few better options out there. I just picked up a factory-blem'd Kershaw Junkyard Dog II from Kershawguy over on bladeforums.com for $55. Its a huge knife (flipper model with G10 scales and has a composite blade with a D2 Tool steel edge and is a real beater (I've got a blem'd Kershaw Rake with the same composite edge on it from the same guy that has been outstanding as well, but is assisted-opening if you're into it).

Spyderco makes several options in the under $60 range, but most are smaller thin-blade slicers or use lesser steels to get the price down (their value line or Byrd series are good knives that compare to CRKT knives). It all depends on what you're looking for.

Seeing as how the two you mentioned were fixed-blades, I'd look seriously at ESEE or Becker - they're known for their toughness and value/budget and use steels like 1095 and generally put out great fixed-blade knives (CRKT is much more known for folders than for fixed-blades).

I've owned a Gerber LMF-II, a KaBar USMC, a CRKT fixed-blade (smaller NECK knife) and a few other fixed-blade knives that weren't ESEEs/Beckers and I always end up going back to ESEE or Becker (for the price, you really can't beat them).

Last edited:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I also dislike their new Auto-LAWKS system that automatically makes the knife a pain in the ass to close (look for an older M16/M21 if you want one without the Auto-LAWKS). I also wouldn't get one of the M16 models with two carson flippers - I owned one (and they look cool), but they will tear a hole in just about any pocket - CRKT makes the edges of their jimped flippers sharper than they do their serrations :)

Totally agree with this statement ^^ auto-lawks system sucks donkey balls.

ithrowicecubes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also EDC an M16 model. They have a great warranty. I flat wore out the the locking mechanism on a year old M16, and CRKT replaced the knife free of charge when I contacted them.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried one for about 2 years and finally lost it when I was in Iraq. I can't remember what model it was (i'd have to go look) but I compare every knife I purchase to that knife now. Great knives!

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of including a Columbia River knife in an anonymous military care package but it's made in China. I'm struggling with that. But the only other knife I like is a Benchmade and it's triple the price, which makes a heavy cut into my budget for the package.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had one of the M16 models for a while, and it's held up well. I did break the 'spear point' tip off of it by accident, while opening boxes and such after moving, but it's still great otherwise. Think I paid all of $28 for it as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom