The scummiest dealer experience in my life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaterAde

New to the site!
Reaction score
I used to haul cars for a living, dealers would buy auction buybacks (program cars). Ford, Dodge, Chevy ect would give to dealers incentives for selling them, then the dealers would tack on the extra fees to the unit. Lynn Hicky and Bob Howard were the worst at the time. You are right a person would go in for a deal and end up with a 30-40 grand note at 21% Good luck and happy trails.
Lynn Hicky, wow, that's been awhile. I remember going in there years ago when I was around 21 years old. Thankfully I was smart enough then to walk out when the salesman asked me what I wanted my payment to be... I knew that wasn't the important thing, the important thing was knowing what I was being charged for the vehicle.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lynn Hicky, wow, that's been awhile. I remember going in there years ago when I was around 21 years old. Thankfully I was smart enough then to walk out when the salesman asked me what I wanted my payment to be... I knew that wasn't the important thing, the important thing was knowing what I was being charged for the vehicle.
I tell them -10000 a month will work well for me. I’ll settle on 0.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea i hate those dealership games. I usually get my loan pre-approved at home with the lender of my choice and liking. Then I go and shop, or shop from home, then go see the vehicle. Less headaches.
It insults my intelligence the way they treat people! I guess a lot of people fall for this stuff, or they wouldn't continue doing it? One of my brothers sold cars for Riverside Chevrolet in Tulsa, for a shot time. A bunch of CROOKS, in my opinion! An old man pulled in one day, he was dressed in overalls, the hot shot salesmen that were circling overhead, acted like they didn't see him, I guess he looked poor? My brother, an 'ol country boy, waited on him, long story short, he bought, ordered, 12 new company trucks, and a new, top of the line SUV, and payed cash! My brother decided he didn't need a job bad enough to work for crooks! He started selling RV's for Camper Land of Tulsa, a good company, and did well, and retired comforatablely recently!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold Nissans for a short time. The "training" they put you through is NEVER TALK PRICE! What do you need your payment to be? We CAN /WILL get you the payment you need.

You are playing their game, on their field, with their rules.
Know what you are willing to pay, going in. Be willing to walk or get screwed.

When we go in, if salesman stalls on price, wif will mention she likes the "other color" one at the "other" dealership better. They get a more workable when they know you will walk.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold Nissans for a short time. The "training" they put you through is NEVER TALK PRICE! What do you need your payment to be? We CAN /WILL get you the payment you need.

You are playing their game, on their field, with their rules.
Know what you are willing to pay, going in. Be willing to walk or get screwed.

When we go in, if salesman stalls on price, wif will mention she likes the "other color" one at the "other" dealership better. They get a more workable when they know you will walk.
WE are playing their game, only if we allow that! After pricing a new Jeep Wrangler lately, I can see why they don't want to mention the price! We bought a new Jeep Wranger, 4 door, with nice equipment, and V-6 in 2010, for $25,000.00 Now the same Jeep stickers from between $48,000.00 and $70,000.00 and most in stock Jeep Wrangers I have seen around Tulsa are 4 CYLENDER, I GUESS TO KEEP THE PRICE DOWN, depending on body style! I think I will just wash, polish and spray NEW CAR SMELL into my old one!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WE are playing their game, only if we allow that! After pricing a new Jeep Wrangler lately, I can see why they don't want to mention the price! We bought a new Jeep Wranger, 4 door, with nice equipment, and V-6 in 2010, for $25,000.00 Now the same Jeep stickers from between $48,000.00 and $70,000.00 and most in stock Jeep Wrangers I have seen around Tulsa are 4 CYLENDER, I GUESS TO KEEP THE PRICE DOWN, depending on body style! I think I will just wash, polish and spray NEW CAR SMELL into my old one!
One of the reasons so many are 4cyl, is because they have to sell more of them to keep their CAFE score up. It doesn't matter if people want them or not, you'll buy what the government tells you you can buy, or you'll walk! :(

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought 5-6 cars thru a dealer in my life. So no expert nor a complete babe.

Sold my mid life crisis for house down payment. Ready to either get something fun again or just another reliable mildly used commuter until the market corrects more. Well, came across a 22 Mustang GT w/ 5k miles. MSRP would have been about 56k, in normal times, mildly used, 50-52 would have been fair. In this market, a good deal probably would be 56-60. So my shock to find a dealer locally in Pryor with this listed at 46,500 had my interest.

Went in assuming a repaired wreck or smoked in. Couldn't find any indications of that. Go to talk turkey. Thought it was wierd kinda brushed past me hoping to wiggle and get a tiny dip lower. Instead the kid comes back with "short term" financing options instead of letting me discuss what what I was looking for (and really wanted to bring my own ideally) But I'm immediately wondering wtf, quotes were like $1800 for 48 months.... maths out to over $80k. (And I think this was with me planning to put 20k down) And a couple back and forths, and they only want to discuss monthly payments, so when I said my calculating ahead of time should have me in the $500-600 range on a 5 year with. So they come back with like $690..... but wont tell me the term. Cool guys, it could be a $100/m payment but does no good if it's a 5000 month term.

Finally talk to manager guy, basically make it clear I wont abide these games and I should probably just go because it doesn't appear the deal I thought was advertised is here vs what they need. I asked if I wrote them a check for the asking price + tax etc, I bet they wouldn't take it and he confirmed they wouldn't. I shoulda walked out then but I'm not the most confrontational. What ensued was them acting like giving in, and I had some hope when they started to act like they could work with me going a little higher and using my financing. At 50k, not so great a deal but well within what I might have expected pre covid. Go back to finance guy. Nope back to their financing and I wasn't ready to go through another retarded round of playing a game of giving me 2 of 3 numbers in the equation to hide the real figure the best they could.

Suffice to say. F*** you Pryor Patriot Jeep/Dodge etc. Leaving I looked and none of the cars had values listed on the few window stickers there were either. Straight up predatory dealership looking for country bumpkins that can't do math.
I NEVER even consider talk of their financing...I leave immediately if it even comes up. There needs to be more consumer protections in that regard, maybe I will call my state reps Monday and drop them a hint.

Easiest way I've found is to just get the money/financing secured in advance, put on a printed spread sheet what car you want, what you will pay, and your phone number and then just leave. A buddy of mine took this advice on a new pickup and it took 3 months, but someone finally called desperate to make the sale and griped as they gave him the deal he wanted. On used cars it is harder because of the rarities depending on what you want. In those cases, see what they have and just e-mail the offer to the sales manager. When he calls, stick to your deal and ask them to send it in writing if they agree to the deal. That way you don't waste the gas driving in to deal with games like you were subjected to. If you don't NEED the car, you are the boss.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve bought my fair share of new vehicles so I’ve built relationships with the new car manager or GM of a few places. A few weeks ago I bought an F250 in Arkansas. This particular one was a unicorn so I didn’t even mess around. Had an 853 credit score and their finance was 5.79. Waited about 5 days and called Wells Fargo for the account number and payoff. Had Navy Federal cut me a check and sent it in to pay off that crap. Play their game and do what you have to do.
Didn't you have a loan origination fee, or a flat loan fee? Or.....did you just factor that into the deal. ?
I'm guessing you prolly still came out ahead, given you found a hard to get vehicle.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I deal right now with three salespeople, they do not bring up financing with them. If all three get the car I want for my wife I will let them battle it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom