Deal gone south...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your side of the story doesn't sound good. Especially if you had an agreement via text or phone. There is always two sides though. Also as a seller you have a right to sell to whoever whenever you want. I realize some may not like that. Some folks on here I wouldn't care if they said first or I will take it.

Have to agree with JD8 straw purchaser on a gun I had for sale. I would pass on it. Still interested to see seller comments.

A deal isn't a deal till its done and transaction is completed. Most of us have dealt with no shows or people that went silent after saying I will take something. Or worse they show up after saying "I will take it" and want to haggle price. Or you show up and item isn't as represented. Lots of reasons why a deal isn't a deal till its completed.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Your side of the story doesn't sound good. Especially if you had an agreement via text or phone. There is always two sides though. Also as a seller you have a right to sell to whoever whenever you want. I realize some may not like that. Some folks on here I wouldn't care if they said first or I will take it.

Have to agree with JD8 straw purchaser on a gun I had for sale. I would pass on it.
Agreed 100%. Explain why and go from there.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I feel the same way a deal is a deal when "I will take it" is posted. That's why we have feedback, to let people know of bad sellers/traders.

OSA folks are great but, from a seller's perspective, the problem with "I will take it" (IWTI) is that without talking to the buyer the deal isn't done.

I had someone post IWTI on my ad, but never responded to my messages trying to close the deal.

I had someone post IWTI on my ad, but they didn't meet the legal requirements to buy a gun.

I had someone post IWTI on my ad, but when we talked they were wanting to negotiate and said they didn't mean it was a commitment to buy.

I had someone post IWTI on my ad, but when we talked they had decided to go a different direction.

I never consider a deal done until the IWTI poster (or conversely when I am a buyer) communicate and agree on the price, meeting location, time and date, legal requirements, comfortable with how I feel about the buyer/seller, etc.

I know nothing about the transaction of the OP and make no judgement on the participants, but I know communication, details, and a firm mutual agreement and understanding are keys to a successful transaction.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
On most forums - not on this one. "I'll take it" carries no weight here.
Sorry you feel this way cjj. I’ve never had a bad experience on OSA. If anyone has or does, use the feedback system. I understand that sometimes a seller might get caught between emails or pm’s. It’s happened to me a couple of times but if I explain to the person what happened, they have always understood.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry you feel this way cjj. I’ve never had a bad experience on OSA. If anyone has or does, use the feedback system. I understand that sometimes a seller might get caught between emails or pm’s. It’s happened to me a couple of times but if I explain to the person what happened, they have always understood.
I've had a couple of deals lost where I posted an "I'll take it", but was told it was "already SPF", with no other reply to the ad. One the seller even posted the time it was SPF, and it was after my "I'll take it" on the forum. After the 2nd time in the last several months, I've pretty much given up on that rule.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a couple of deals lost where I posted an "I'll take it", but was told it was "already SPF", with no other reply to the ad. One the seller even posted the time it was SPF, and it was after my "I'll take it" on the forum. After the 2nd time in the last several months, I've pretty much given up on that rule.

Could this be an instance where the buyer contacted the seller via Personal Message before (or without) posting "I will take it" on the forum ad? I know I have contacted a seller via PM without posting "I will take it."

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't read all the posts, but where is the straw purchase? He pm the guy, told him his daughter wanted the gun. She contacted him and arranged a meeting place. She text him to tell him she was on her way. He tells her he sold the gun after they made a time and place, I don't see a straw purchase, but if this is what took place, he's wrong

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom