Dealers under attack, Dealers gone!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dealers at the gun show are under attack. I'm not talking about Mr Coffee's briefcase getting shot either. In the last three weeks, two dealers that I know of are no longer able to sell guns at gun shows. The first was a private dealer that re-sold an AR15 that he purchased in May. The rifle was stolen then used in a crime. The ATF somehow traced it back to him. They paid him a visit and scared the tar out of him. He thinks there may be charges.

The second is a dealer from Southwest Oklahoma, apparently there was something hinky with his license, like maybe it was in an employees name and he was using it. (I'm not clear of the exact details). They came into his shop Monday and yanked his FFL. He out of business

I posted this as a cautionary tale. Please be very, VERY careful. The hopes of making some fast money can lead people into legal jeopardy. As a guy that has been through the wringer, had a swat team in his home over a gun, just be careful.
If you want to engage in the business of buying and selling guns, get a FFL
If you want to sell to enhance your collection or sell off excess guns, ask the correct questions, have the buyer sign something stating that they can legally own a firearm.

I hope I don't come on to this board and hear of somebody in jail, or having to sell their home to pay for attorneys. Been there, it sucks

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's dealers under attack as maybe unlicensed dealers are getting more scrutiny. The fact is they are breaking the law. It's bound to eventually catch up to them.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The second is a dealer from Southwest Oklahoma, apparently there was something hinky with his license, like maybe it was in an employees name and he was using it. (I'm not clear of the exact details). They came into his shop Monday and yanked his FFL. He out of business

Not that I trust this administration, but this doesn't sound like an "attack"..... this sounds like they were asking for trouble.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SD65,

You know on this site there is an ongoing discussion of private sales and some in that thread vehemently argue that asking to see a DL or a CCl is "above and beyond" both speaking of legal technicalities and of moral obligation. I think what you are telling us is that ATF is going to hold the bar high. I also believe that if anyone is contemplating exercising their right to limited-scope private legal sales he needs to do the same - set the bar high.
Ask to see a DL and/or a CCl, ask the appropriate questions - yes the buyer could lie but I can't control that.
I can control whether or not I exercise due diligence.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
U
SD65,

You know on this site there is an ongoing discussion of private sales and some in that thread vehemently argue that asking to see a DL or a CCl is "above and beyond" both speaking of legal technicalities and of moral obligation. I think what you are telling us is that ATF is going to hold the bar high. I also believe that if anyone is contemplating exercising their right to limited-scope private legal sales he needs to do the same - set the bar high.
Ask to see a DL and/or a CCl, ask the appropriate questions - yes the buyer could lie but I can't control that.
I can control whether or not I exercise due diligence.

Better said than my post. Thanks John

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
enforcing the laws on the books... sounds good to me...

wish they would go check and make sure Jimmy is taking his med's too and that mom has her guns locked up

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fact that we have to specially license people to sell guns speaks volumes as to the state of our country. I am glad for them, like reddog and others, but man I wish we could go back to getting them in the mail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom