Deer Mineral

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PBramble, I'm sure that deerslayer will respond but here's one that many on another hunting website just swear by. I used breeder mineral from Tractor Supply last year - spread 50 lbs around a known scrape area and dropped off a 50 lb mineral trace block on 3 different food plots. Cameras show all being used but not aggressively by any means. May still toss out blocks but not sure yet on mixing up a batch given the current costs and not easy to find.

50 lbs bag of dicalcium phosphate, 50 lbs bag of trace mineral salt, bag of powdered molasses. Dig a 3 ft hole wide and about 18 inches deep. Chop up the dirt really good, shovel in the ingredients with dirt 1 shovel full at a time. Mix it up really good and keep doing it until the hole is filled back up.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are missing several vital minerals which are lacking in the suggested mixture. I have been using Bone Stacker mineral through Genix Outdoors for several year with success. I currently am adding Bone Stacker to the deer's feed daily.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.atwoods.com/ranch-pro-breeder-mineral-bag-50-lbs
Screenshot_20230304_005435_Chrome.jpg

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let us think for a moment about this. Where is the mineral content that deer need in that bag of Morton's salt?? There isn't any. Deer need more mineral pound for pound than cattle because of antler production. The deer need higher levels of protein than cattle, pound for pound, because of antlers production. The cow will eat 40-45 pounds of feed a day to generate approximately the same amount of feed that a deer has to consume in 5-7 pounds per day. Therefore the deer has to consume higher protein levels, higher mineral levels higher levels of vitamins, and trace minerals to equal the cattle needs. This is a scientific proven fact.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the amount of dirt the deer consumed excavating that huge hole fit what I had read about the oxidized minerals the deer ñeed being released from the rocks and soil by the magnesia salt in the softener marbles not sodium chloride.
That is why they eat the dirt that has been effected by the salts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom