Deer Processing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most of the processors will sell you beef suet (fat), just gotta go in, shake hands and be polite. If they have extra they will sell it. SAllies GAVE us a couple lbs last year after we had them process an early doe into summer sausage. They were happy to do it. Processors want the good reputation. Hunters are a small community and word of mouth goes a long way. Just ask for suet (pronounced 'SOO-it').

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check with Larry's meats in union city for beef fat, good people. They have processed everything from hogs to cattle for us and a few deer.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can find plenty of ways to cook them. I'm just partial to Steven Rinella's methods. He seems to be very well studied in the culinary arts, for a backwoods Northern Michigan type.

I grilled up a couple of them last season. Even my 4 year old niece loved them.

We grilled some last season - good flavor, but tough.
I started saving the livers, too. I hate liver, but you can't make good dirty rice without it. Anything I can eat from the deer, I want to use. I may even try some deer menudo this year.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know of dozens and dozens that let their tummies get them killed. And actually probably millions over the years from the hunting masses :)

Well, if that's any guage...how many deer let their d!ck get them killed every year? Some things are worth dying for.....

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, if that's any guage...how many deer let their d!ck get them killed every year? Some things are worth dying for.....

Lot of men have met the same fate for the same reason.

I'll leave the organ eating to you guys :) Tried deer liver a couple of times, cooked just we cook calf liver and onions...........it's no calf liver.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, so we've got heart, liver, and menudo. Anything else for the organs? My six-year-old son actually prefers deer liver over the rest of the animal (not that he won't eat the rest), and my wife has an excellent recipe for the heart that I got out of a book on butchering. I'll see if I can get it typed up and post it when I get home.

@TedKennedy - let us know how it goes if you try some menudo. I may give it a shot if things don't look too disgusting during the processing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom