Deer Processing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
:lookaroun

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/heart-liver-recipes/simple-seared-venison-kidneys/

Kidneys can be challenging. If you don’t soak them long enough, they can be bitter and, well, smell and taste a little like pee. That should not deter you from keeping the kidneys from the deer you shoot every year. Properly soaked, venison kidneys are delicious and not at all off-putting. If you are not a hunter, use lamb kidneys; they’re almost identical in flavor and size.

The key is to prep the kidneys first and then soak them in milk for several days in the fridge. I know it seems like a lot for a little piece of meat - the kidneys off a normal deer will only serve two people as an appetizer. Just give it a go.

You prep a kidney by peeling the thin membrane that is on each lobe, then slicing the kidneys in half lengthwise, so you preserve that cool kidney shape. There will be some crunchy hard stuff at the center of the kidneys, which you snip out carefully with kitchen shears or a paring knife. You can eat it, but I don’t like the texture.

Sear the kidneys in a ripping hot pan and serve them simply. I like them with just good salt and lemon, but a good country mustard is also nice.

Serves 2

2 venison or lamb kidneys
2 cups milk
Kosher salt
1-2 tablespoons grapeseed or other high smoke-point oil
Juice of a lemon
Coarse finishing salt like fleur de sel

Carefully peel the membranes off the kidneys. Slice them in half lengthwise so you preserve the kidney shape. Cut out the hard, white centers of the kidneys with kitchen shears or a paring knife.
Soak the kidneys in the milk in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. If the milk gets too bloody, change it up to once per day.
Rinse off the kidneys and pat them dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle some kosher salt on them.
Heat a small frying pan on high for 1-2 minutes. Add enough grapeseed oil to put a film on the pan. You don’t want the oil too deep or everything will spatter all over the place. Heat this oil for 30 seconds to a minute. You want it hot, but not smoking.
Place the kidneys cut side down in the hot oil so they are not touching. They will want to curl up, so gently press down on them with a spatula. Sear like this for 2 minutes.
Turn the kidneys over and sear in the same way for another 1-2 minutes. Kidneys should still be pink in the middle.
Take the kidneys off the heat and allow to rest on a cutting board for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle some lemon juice over them. Serve finished with coarse fleur de sel.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 20yrs back, sat morning, sitting on the stand right at daylight I hear several shots. Glass down the pipeline right of way I'm on. My buddy is getting g off of his stand. He shot this old doe, loads her on his 3 wheeler and heads to camp.
20 minutes later, I hear 3 wheeler and he is back on his stand.
Flash forward, Thurs night 9:00 and phone rings. "Hey what's your deer sausage recipe?"
I tell him, then "where you get deer meat?"
"That doe I shot sat morning, I forget she was in the bed of the pickup."

2 weeks later in deer camp, he won't talk to me. Finally asked him what the hell his problem is?
He says I didn't give him my recipe and he had to throw out all his deer sausage.

I admitted I left out the first 3 steps.
1 shoot deer
2 clean ****ing deer immediately
3 keep it on ice until processing

He still gets pissed off talking g about making sausage.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the guys I hunt with, eat's everyone of his deer hearts, and comes and get my deer hearts.

He would starve around my house. There's not much left lol. Actually I try and head shoot a doe just for that purpose. Fried or stuffed venison heart is dang good.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

sniper9711

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to eventually do my own, but I use Martins Meat and More in Ada/Latta. It's $75 and you get your deer. He also makes amazing smoked venison jerky sticks. Tim and his family are good people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom