Defensive pistol training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Forest HP

New to the site!
Reaction score
My wife will be taking her CCW class this week. After she has completed the class I would like to take her to a defensive handgun class. At this time I have looked at what is avaiable in OKC along with Gunsite, Thunder Ranch and Frontsight.

Have any of you attended classes at more than one of these locations so that you can provide some compare and contrast of the different classes.

We live in the OK Panhandle and are not opposed to traveling to get good training.

Thanks in advance.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I taught for two of them and have been to Thunder Ranch. With that said I would check out TDSA right here in Tulsa. There is no bad training to be had with any of the ones you listed, BUT you won't find any better training than you would at TDSA.

Gun Site. From non gun handler to fairly decent in a week. Very good curriculum along with mind set. At the end you will be a fair hand with a pistol, but you have to keep practicing your skills or it will slowly degrade. Builds good base to start from.

Thunder Ranch. Good for fighting techniques, but you better know how to shoot fairly well when you get there. A lot less on technique and a lot more on how to fight.

Front Sight. Learning to shoot by wrote, bring lots of bullets and be prepaired for drill after drill after drill. Builds a good base, but is a bit lacking in why and how ( thats why I didn't work there long)

TDSA. great ballance of technique and how to fight with a bit of mind set. Great student to teacher ratio, lots of one on one for personal help. Of the 4, TDSA most closely matches my training philosophies, and when I teach for anyone else it is at TDSA. I know it sounds like an ad for them, but you won't be disapointed. Kurt Miller

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma Shooting Skills will be in Waynoka on July 2nd doing a one day defensive handgun class. If this is interesting, contact my via PM and I'll get you in contact with the man running admin on the class.

http://pistolskills.com/for more info.

Will

+1 for OSS and Will's crew. Can't beat that fact that they are coming to you, at least closer to you, as well. Every OSS class I've been to has been a great environment for new and seasoned shooters. Low ego, try it our way and see if you like it, kind of instruction.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I taught for two of them and have been to Thunder Ranch. With that said I would check out TDSA right here in Tulsa. There is no bad training to be had with any of the ones you listed, BUT you won't find any better training than you would at TDSA.
TDSA. great ballance of technique and how to fight with a bit of mind set. Great student to teacher ratio, lots of one on one for personal help. Of the 4, TDSA most closely matches my training philosophies, and when I teach for anyone else it is at TDSA. I know it sounds like an ad for them, but you won't be disapointed. Kurt Miller
This. I cannot reccomend TDSA enough. Their training is second to none.

Not only that, but when Kurt Miller reccomends something to you about shooting take note. You might not agree or like everything he says or him, but the man knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several good schools around! I would look very hard at OSS, USSA and TDSA. For an entry level class OSS Can Not be beat!!! It truly is the "gate way training school" If you want a "big name" and feel the need to travel look at Rangemaster ( www.rangemaster.com) Tom Givens runs that school and it gets NO better than him!!! He has the most successful civilian student involved gun fights! cant go wrong with that track record.

Latest posts

Top Bottom