Defunding the police...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Majority of Minneapolis City Council announces support for dismantling police department
Updated: June 07, 2020 05:43 PM
Created: June 07, 2020 04:57 PM

Nine members of the Minneapolis City Council announced their support for disbanding the Minneapolis Police Department at a rally Sunday afternoon in Powderhorn Park.

City Council President Lisa Bender and City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins were joined on stage by Council Members Alondra Cano, Philippe Cunningham, Jeremiah Ellison, Steve Fletcher, Cam Gordon and Jeremy Schroeder at the end of the rally to announce their intent to end the Minneapolis Police Department through a budgetary process.

They said they would divert those funds toward a community-based public safety model.

"This council is going to dismantle this police department," Ellison said.

EllisonDefundthePolice.jpg

Minneapolis City Council Member Jeremiah Ellison announces his support for dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department on Sunday, June 7, 2020, at Powderhorn Park.

Beth McDonough/KSTP
The nine council members make up a veto-proof supermajority of the council, which currently has 12 members.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey made an impromptu announcement to a crowd of protesters on Saturday that he did not support ending the Minneapolis Police Department.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trey Gowdy: 'Defunding the police is the single dumbest idea I've ever heard'
Talia Kaplan5 hours ago
Video
Former House Oversight Committee chairman Trey Gowdy told “Sunday Morning Futures” that “defunding the police is the single dumbest idea I've ever heard.”

“Who is going to process crime scenes, arrest bad people?” Gowdy, a Fox News contributor, asked during an exclusive interview with host Maria Bartiromo. “Who is going to enforce any law, child sex abuse, homicide? Who is going to do it if it's not the police?”

Gowdy made the comments after a recent push to weaken law enforcement in the wake of the death of George Floydin police custody.

Days after Floyd, who is black, died after a white officer knelt on his neck, Black Lives Matter announced a “call for a national defunding of police,” and notable Democratic voices as well as celebritieshave echoed the sentiment.

MINNEAPOLIS OFFICER FACES UPGRADED MURDER CHARGE IN GEORGE FLOYD DEATH, 3 OTHERS CHARGED

Republican South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, who appeared with Gowdy on “Sunday Morning Futures,” agreed, saying defunding police is “a ridiculous idea.”

“It is not an idea whose time has come. It should never come,” Scott said.

Video
“The absolute nation requires law and order. We need order in our streets and the easiest way to have that is to have a strong presence of character-driven law enforcement officers.”

Scott then brought up the fact that he recently reintroduced the Walter Scott Notification Act, which requires states to report deadly shootings by law enforcement officers.

Walter Scott was a black motorist who died in 2015 after running from a white police officer during a traffic stop and then struggling with the officer who ran after him. The officer testified that Scott grabbed his Taser and he then shot him, firing “until the threat was stopped,” which is what he said he was trained to do.

“One of the reasons why I proposed … [the] Walter Scott Notification Act [was] to get law enforcement agencies to report the data on the use of force that leads to death,” Sen. Scott explained on Sunday.

“Without that actual information in an aggregate value, we don't really know what's going on.”

He went on to note that “fewer than 45 percent of agencies actually report their information to the FBI so I think it would help all of us to get a clear picture of what's going on within the law enforcement community.”

“Within communities of color, the issues with law enforcement are much broader than who shoots whom,” Gowdy said. “I mean that’s incredibly important, but it’s arrest rates, it's sentencing disparities, it’s access to bond, it’s access to diversion programs.”

Video
Gowdy then told Bartiromo that Sen. Scott, who is black, “was stopped seven times as a public official, seven times, the man your viewers are looking at was stopped by law enforcement, he was stopped from entering the Capitol even though he wears his Senate lapel pin and looks like a CPA.”

“I look like a gangster and don't wear my House lapel pin and I was never stopped,” Gowdy, who is white, said. “So the problems are much broader than just who shoots whom.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The calls to defund police departments come as uniformed law enforcement officers across the nation suffered injuries during George Floyd protests that turned violent in some cities, with officers being pelted with bricks and bottles. A police officer in Las Vegas was shot in the head, while police in New York and New Jersey were injured by bricks and rocks. In Los Angeles, one officer suffered a fractured skull and officers in other cities suffered injuries in hit-and-run incidents.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the summer of 1984 I got to sit in on a meeting between the Chief of Police for the North Slope Borough in Alaska, the Borough Mayor, and other assembly members. Due to a growing number of assaults on officers the Chief wanted permission to outfit all of us with PR-24 side handle batons.

At that point in time you could either fight or shoot. We could not carry mace or big metal flashlights. Since deadly force isn't an option 99.8% of the time that meant you went hands on. Usually a couple of times or more each shift.

The Chief presented all the facts and his request. The conversation went about like this as I recall.

Mayor: "What are PR-24's?"
Chief: "They are like nightsticks but with a handle on the side."
Mayor: "So you wanna carry sticks?"
Chief: "Yes, we want an option beside fists and firearms."
Mayor: "That doesn't seem very fair."
Chief: "Well it would give us an option besides shooting people."
Mayor: "It's fair right now. You guys got guns and us Eskimos got guns. Guess if you guys are gonna carry sticks we will carry sticks too."

That was pretty much the end of the meeting. We didn't get our night sticks and things were still fair.

No one screamed "Brown Lives Matter!!!" We just kept on doing what we did. And the neat thing about that was there was no personal animosity amongst us for the most part. Usually the next time you saw someone that you had to fight to get in cuffs and the patrol car they'd apologize. Most of them were pretty contrite until the next they got drunk and out of control. Then we'd start the dance again.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
911 recording: "This office is closed so that we may serve you better." Some people are earnestly going to regret the decision of disbanding the police department. Mayhem of all sorts from excessive speed to all sorts of crime and the honest citizens will be a bird's nest on the ground for the thugs. Matter of fact, I saw a clip on TV that said Antifa was going for the cities today and residential areas tomorrow.
Kyle Reyes - Antifa reportedly warned Sunday that they're ...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The police are not "social workers" as this person claims. They are law enforcement.

Truth. But what you may be missing is that they WANT them to be social workers. As in replaced by social workers or "crisis intervention counselors", because we don't need jails or prisons just lots of counseling. It's the new way!

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the Minneapolis city charter, the city is required to maintain a minimum police force based on city population. That currently stands at 723 sworn officers. Changing this would require a vote of the citizens or approval of the entire city council including the mayor and he says he will not support it as well as 3 current council members.

If they were to fail to fund this minimum level, the state of Minnesota would be required to meet the required level of policing.

Same things with different numbers also hold true in NYC.

It's never going to happen and they will make some soft ball changes so they can get out and crow about the BS changes they have made to get re-elected !

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CNN ANCHOR: “What if in the middle of night my home is broken into. Who do I call?"
Minneapolis Councilwoman LISA BENDER: "Yes... I hear that … and I know that that comes from a place of privilege."

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
CNN ANCHOR: “What if in the middle of night my home is broken into. Who do I call?"
Minneapolis Councilwoman LISA BENDER: "Yes... I hear that … and I know that that comes from a place of privilege."

Doublespeak PC BS. A bunch of mumbo-jumbo politispeak that doesn't address the question, at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom