Dehydrating Thread ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you guys dehydrate anything besides jerky?? :scratch: I'm about to try my hand at potatoes as russet potatos are on sale at Buy4Less this week for 99 cents for a 5-lb. bag ... I've been wanting to try my hand at sliced potatoes (like for scalloped potatoes) for a while now, just not worked up the energy to do so ... I'll keep you posted.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do peppers and make pepper powder. Wife came home with some apples the other day that one of her work friends did, they were really good.

I used to use an old Ronco dehydrator, wife bought me a new one for Christmas with a fan, that thing gets busy. Ronco used to take days, new one takes hours...

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've dehydrated mushrooms, onions, and garlic. I use all three to make chicken and mushroom curry. I have found that the mushrooms rehydrate best in my rice cooker using around 2x as much water as mushrooms.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done bell peppers, apples, onions, cherries, blackberries and blueberries. My favorite things to do are frozen veggies (corn, peas, chopped onions, diced carrots) and fruits (blueberries and strawberry slices) when I can catch them on sale at 99 cents a bag. One bag fits neatly on one tray of my Excalibur, so I can get $9 worth of veggies in my dehydrator at once. When they are done, depending on the vegetable, mostly times all that fits neatly in a half-gallon jar with a little room to spare.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the spring I dehydrate morel mushrooms. Other times store bought shiitake.
Jerky in the winter. Haven't done any taters, so might have to try that one.

Oh yeah, dropped my cellphone in the river. Fished it out, removed the battery, put in the dehydrator at100 degrees for 24 hrs. Still worked!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the spring I dehydrate morel mushrooms. Other times store bought shiitake.
Jerky in the winter. Haven't done any taters, so might have to try that one.

Oh yeah, dropped my cellphone in the river. Fished it out, removed the battery, put in the dehydrator at100 degrees for 24 hrs. Still worked!

Hmmmm ... I dunno if I'd of thought of that! LOL I have used my Excalibur to raise bread on cold days. It works GREAT! I dunno about this potato stuff ... I did some looking around and it seems really labor-intensive ... Or maybe I'm just feeling lazy today ... Haha!

I've got eggplant and red peppers roasting in the oven with some garlic for dinner and the applesauce I made yesterday is getting turned into apple butter today (GC got him some applesauce before I put it back in the slow cooker!) ... Think I'll pay bills and then see if I feel like fooling with potatoes then ...

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been decades but we used to make fruit leather, tomato leather for spaghetti sauce, hamburger for spaghetti sauce, chicken bits, etc. We used a warm oven and trays for the leathers and one of those primitive non-electric plastic round stacking dryers for dehydrating water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom