Dehydrating Thread ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They look just like I poured them outta a box of Betty Crocker's Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese box!! :D While I'm happy with the results (last potatoes I did turned black), they were a bit of a pain to do.

I might do one or two more bags, if I can shake off this raging headache. I'm half afraid my date with the mandolin slicer yesterday is what caused it though ... :(

Ted, I have an Excalibur. It has been worth every penny I spent on it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First you have to slice them up (I'm not gonna peel them but some folks do) and soak them in ice water. Then you have to blanch the slices for a minute or two in boiling water. Then you have to drain them outta the hot water, and place them in ice water again to cool. THEN you can put them in the dehydrator ...

Man ... I'm tired just thinking about it, but I guess I'll do a batch today. GC's gonna go to work in a bit, the bills are paid, the kitchen is cleaned up and well ... God forbid the kitchen actually stay cleaned up for any length of time ... :grumble:

Oh, well ... one of these days I'm gonna have a maid ... instead of being the maid ... :rollingla :rollingla

I do not understand the term "kitchen cleaned up". Can you please explain how this is accomplished?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of dehydrators do y'all use? I'm fixing to buy a new one, but haven't done much research yet..

I have no idea what kind it is, it's 27yrs old, I'm guessing RONCO. It works great. Doing mushrooms( got some Portabellos on sale), celery, bell peppers today. Very interested in learning more about the taters. 5lbs for $0.99? We get 50lbs fro $8.50 when the garden supply runs out. Just put 50 plants out, each yields 20+ lbs. Can most of them but the dehydrator sounds very interesting. What do you have recipes, scallops, Au Gratin?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea what kind it is, it's 27yrs old, I'm guessing RONCO. It works great. Doing mushrooms( got some Portabellos on sale), celery, bell peppers today. Very interested in learning more about the taters. 5lbs for $0.99? We get 50lbs fro $8.50 when the garden supply runs out. Just put 50 plants out, each yields 20+ lbs. Can most of them but the dehydrator sounds very interesting. What do you have recipes, scallops, Au Gratin?

Yep, all kinds of stuff. Think the next thing I'm gonna try is shredded potatos. You know, like hash browns. I'm on my phone right now. I'll start a potato thread and post my experiences and some recipes when I get back on the computer. Probably tonight or in the morning.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put my first batch of Lemon Ginger Apples in the dehydrator today, They're still going, but the few pieces I sampled a few hours ago tasted fantastic!

Lemon Ginger Apple Chips Ingredients
Please note that the amounts are up to you. Make as much as you like.
1 lb. apples*
2 lemons, juice only
1 tablespoon ginger juice**
How to Make Apple Chips
Turn the apple on its side and with a very sharp knife slice the apple into 1/8 inch thick rounds so that the core creates a star shape in the middle. Don’t worry. Most of the seeds will fall out when dried.***
Add all of your slices to a bowl and pour the lemon and ginger juice over the slices. Stir so that all the apples become covered in juice. This will help them keep their pretty color and will give them a bright, light, zingy taste.
Oven: line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay your apple slices out in an oven preheated to 200°F and dry for 2-3 hours or until there is no more moisture and the slices are crisp.Dehydrator:Lay your apple slices out on dehydrator trays. Set dehydrator to 150°F and dry apples for 20 hours or until there is no more moisture and the slices are crisp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom