Dehydrating Thread ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you have to do for the potatoes?

First you have to slice them up (I'm not gonna peel them but some folks do) and soak them in ice water. Then you have to blanch the slices for a minute or two in boiling water. Then you have to drain them outta the hot water, and place them in ice water again to cool. THEN you can put them in the dehydrator ...

Man ... I'm tired just thinking about it, but I guess I'll do a batch today. GC's gonna go to work in a bit, the bills are paid, the kitchen is cleaned up and well ... God forbid the kitchen actually stay cleaned up for any length of time ... :grumble:

Oh, well ... one of these days I'm gonna have a maid ... instead of being the maid ... :rollingla :rollingla

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A curry and chicken recipe? Would you share?

sure! this makes 2 smallish serving or 1 large serving

1/2- 3/4 cup water
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper (pretty much to taste)
1 diced chicken breast
1 diced russet potatoe (2 if you're not using the chicken)

all in a pot bring to simmer
serve over white rice with mushrooms. I like mine with some soysauce on the side.

I'm always experimenting with this recipe, tomatoes, spinach, carrots, etc
it's pretty simple

I recommend getting the curry powder from the Super Cao Nguyen, as it's $6 or $7 for a pound and at Walmart its $4 for 2oz

Last edited:

Caliyanks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We love pinapple's oranges and Kiwi. Only been using the Excaliber about a year. Also dehydrated the usual suspects like green peppers and garlic.
All above stuff sounds great. Gonna try a few. Especiallt he potatos. Thanks

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No kidding ... I'm starting to think that it's worth what you pay for the pre-packaged stuff ... :mean:

I hear ya BB. After doing all the prep and clean up I get to the point where I'd rather spend the extra few cents and let someone do it for me. The preparation used to be Lots of fun in and of itself but now it wears me out just just thinking about it. :)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a garden master (I think) made by American Harvest ( I think). Its the most powerful one I could find that didn't cost an arm and leg. Expandable to 24 trays. I am up to 14 trays. I use mine for deer, elk, and beef jerky. I once put a couple slices of ham on there when doing jerky. Tasted pretty good. Definitely an option for a back packing adventure, cause you need something besides jerky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom