detached garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also be sure to increase your BB coverage on your homeowners insurance. Detached garages aren't covered under your dwelling coverage.

If you can swing a walkway to tie the roof of your garage into the roof of your dwelling, it can be covered under your dwelling coverage.

True....polices main dwelling coverage will not cover what is called a detached structure. However most polices will cover other structures on your property not directly connected to the main home. The coverage is generally 10% of the dwelling coverage. If your rebuilding value of your other structure is greater than this limit most companies will sell you more if you want.

As to attaching the garage to your main home there can be other issues with doing that.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOWE's has a catalog of GARAGES and SHEDS, lots of ideas, plans and material lists. You can rough out a design of your own and Sutherland's can print you out plans and a material list. They put everything on the truck or deliver it to you. It is completely DIY or they have builders to do any or all of the project.

OOPS, you are in Moore; Sutherland's is Lawton and Tulsa. I believe LOWE's has the same service, as does the local lumber yard, if you want to avoid the BIG BOX stores.

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to build it myself.

It sounds like most have gone with metal buildings. I'm leaning toward a stick and brick to match the house. I think it will be a better fit for the neighborhood.

On the garage journal they mention metal is cheaper for big buildings, but stick built garages are about the same cost as metal buildings if you are looking at smaller sizes. Does anyone know if that holds true in Oklahoma?

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my uncle built his, he went with a steel building. Knowing the frugality that man is capable of, I'd wager metal was cheaper.

He built a lean two coming off the side of it to cover his RV trailer and pontoon, similar deal might work for your 5th wheel.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel is definitely more expensive. The cost of steel has skyrocketed, while wood remains relatively even. A 30x40 will cost you 12-13k, but the same in steel will cost upwards of 20. The concrete has to be poured first, you can't do a floating slab like you can with a wood structure. The metal building will give you some more overhead clearance though. The concrete for a metal building has to have a footer, you are looking at 5k just for concrete. A floating slab can be done for 1500.

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
check with your city for any specific limitations and easment clearances
when i had mine built they ask what's the purpose of the building ?
i said storage and garage, because i included garage as a usage the concrete had to have a footing, if i had just said storage the footing wasn't required

Latest posts

Top Bottom