detached garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone built a detached garage lately. I've been wanting one for a few years and never did anything about it. The urge has come back again.

At a minimum I would want a basic 24'x30'. However, it would be nice to have something that would hold my 5th wheel too so I don't have to store it off site. Then I go to the websites with all the plans and see these garages with 2nd floor bonus rooms and full bathrooms. All I really need is enough room to comfortably fit 2 vehicles and some space for lawn equipment. Something tells me that I will wish I had done this or that differently once it is too late.

If you have built one lately, was it stick/brick or metal building? What size did you build? Bonus room/workshop/bathroom ?? What would you have done differently?

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a 16x30 a few years ago for the boat, DIY, but I bought the trusses from a place in Cushing. Just finished building a 10x21 to house the pool pump, lawn tractor, and my nephews power wheel cars. Inflation was a shocker as they nearly cost the same seven years apart. Now I'm looking at that two story storage building at Lowe's. thinking it would make a good mancave by the tropical pool, it would finally give me an excuse to splurge on some reloading junk.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a 30x50 last October. I had a local builder put it together, it was a good experience. I paid 15000 including concrete, 3 roll ups and a walk thru. Plus, it has real insulation instead that double-bubble crap that does nothing. I have nice R13 fiberglass insulation.

I spent another few thousand on lights and electrical.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also be sure to increase your BB coverage on your homeowners insurance. Detached garages aren't covered under your dwelling coverage.

If you can swing a walkway to tie the roof of your garage into the roof of your dwelling, it can be covered under your dwelling coverage.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also be sure to increase your BB coverage on your homeowners insurance. Detached garages aren't covered under your dwelling coverage.

If you can swing a walkway to tie the roof of your garage into the roof of your dwelling, it can be covered under your dwelling coverage.

That's not necessarily true. Oklahoma Farm Bureau covers all outbuildings at 10K each in the standard policy. Definitely check with you agent, but many cover them as part of the base policy.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. Oklahoma Farm Bureau covers all outbuildings at 10K each in the standard policy. Definitely check with you agent, but many cover them as part of the base policy.

That's the BB coverage. BB coverage is included in homeowners policies for appurtenant structures, but those structures are not covered under the AA coverage that covers your dwelling.

A lot of carriers will write 10% of the Coverage A (Dwelling) to cover the fences and appurtenant structures, by default. So if you put up a $200,000 home, you might be looking at just $20K coverage for the fence and garage. Then any gazebos, patios, swimming pools, storage sheds, barns, guest houses, sidewalks, driveways, etc. Man you're over that $20K quick!

Latest posts

Top Bottom